deleted wrong driver in xp.now it wont boot

Discussion in 'Software' started by Heavyunit, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Heavyunit

Heavyunit Private E-2

Hello I was trying to get rid of a raid shortcut on the tool bar.And in programs add or delete I uninstalled the via controller now I Know this was not the right thing to do. The computer trys to boot but it cant see the hard drive. The motherboard is a Asus SK8V with xp sp2. the hard drive is sata and the optical are sata.hooked up to sata 1 and 2 on the mobo.I took out a backup hard drive with the xp o.s. from another computer thats IDE and hooked it up to the mobo it was recognized in the BIOS. But the computer still would not boot it goes to a screen that says start in safe mode start w command prompt or start w networking or last known funtioning point. none of these choices do anything. I dont know what to do can someone please help.

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You need to reload Windows. You can safely reload Windows without losing any data. First you'll have to create an F6 floppy disk for the SATA drivers. Visit this link:
    http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelname=SK8V&SLanguage=en-us
    Click the 'Drivers' tab and scroll to the last one. This is the 'Make Disk' driver. It will create a floppy disk. Boot to your XP install CD, when the first blue screen with the white bar at the bottom comes up, it will say "Press F6 for third party RAID or SCSI driver..." and you'll need to press F6. At some point you'll be prompted to put the floppy in the drive and it will load the drivers for your SATA drive. You will perform a safe reload of Windows. DO NOT FORMAT!!! Formatting will erase everything. After you install the F6 floppy drivers, you can follow this guide to do a repair install of XP:
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html
    It's very easy to follow and is complete with screen shots.... if you don't have a floppy drive, get one. Borrow it, or buy it (they're only like $10), or even use an external USB floppy (much more expensive at over $30; not all PCs support USB floppies in XP setup). If you don't have an XP disc, I'm not sure there's much you can do....
    Using a hard drive from another PC to try to boot your PC will not work. XP has a way of 'bonding' to the hardware in a PC. If you change all that hardware, 95% of the time, XP will crash and reboot. So, unless the PC you pulled the hard drive from has the exact same hardware, it will not work to boot the other PC.

3. Heavyunit

Heavyunit Private E-2

Thankyou dlb I very much appreciate your help and so will my computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds