Deleting A User Account's User Data

Discussion in 'Software' started by Skullduggery's Dupe, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

When I inherited the computer that I now use most often, the former owner of course had a user account.

I've since created a couple of other user accounts.

So now, in order to reclaim over 6GB on disk, I want to delete pretty much all the user data associated with the original user account, before deleting the account itself.

But looking into Documents in that user account, there's tons of folders with names like TurboCad and scandsk - that is to say, folders that seem to be named after applications or have names that sound like Windows services.

But these folders are in Documents, not ProgramData.

So is it safe to blow this data away or not?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

When you delete a user account it asks you whether you want the user files deleted too, so no need to delete manually first. However if the user was storing documents, pics etc in folders which are not within his personal profile, you will have to find those and delete them yourself. The full set of folders that make up a user profile are those displayed when you click on a user name in Explorer or Start.

In this case it is likely that the folders in Documents were to store output from or notes about a program. Open the TurboCAD folder and you will probably see files with .TCW filename extension, those are drawings produced with TurboCAD.

3. Skullduggery's Dupe

Skullduggery's Dupe Master Sergeant

No, this stuff looks to be just about entirely program data. There are folders in TurboCAD with names like "Symbols" and "Shapes", etc. But why would reams of program data be in this user's Documents folder?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds