Deleting exe file

Discussion in 'Software' started by ramage316, Dec 30, 2005.

1. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

I downloaded an exe file using mozilla firefox.

However, when I then go to use it, a DOS window appears and nothing happens.

This happens with all exe files i download using firefox.

When I use IE, I do not have this problem, it simply works as normal.

The problem I now have is that windows does not allow me to delete the exe files i downloaded using firefox and instead displays the message -

'it is being used by another person or program'

even though no other programs are running.

any help would be great. thanks.

2. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

Do Ctrl+Alt+Del and see if any of the .exe's show up in the processes tab. If they do then kill them and try deleting them again. Otherwise Hijack This has a tool to delete files on reboot. Try with that as it attempts to get them before they are used. It may not be a bad idea to run a virus scan as well at this point as that is not normal behaviour.

3. ramage316

ramage316 Private E-2

Thanks mate. HijackThis got rid of them.

4. greenknight32

greenknight32 Sergeant

Actually, this is a very common occurrence with Firefox on Windows. When a download of a .exe is incomplete, Firefox leaves a 0kb file behind. Windows looks for the file's icon, can't find it, and keeps the file open while it keeps looking.

5. Qwertyman66

Qwertyman66 Private E-2

Really? I didn't know that greenknight. Thanks for the tip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds