Deleting personal info--donate tower

Discussion in 'Software' started by geds4001, Nov 2, 2012.

1. geds4001

geds4001 Private E-2

I'd like to donate my tower to a locate charity, but I'm concerned about my personal information that I've entered over the years being compromised. Even if I delete it all, how can I be certain it won't be? I don't want to spend the money for a brand new o.s. It currently has XP--thanks, Steve.

2. cipher

cipher Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would delete all sensitive files normally and then run Eraser and wipe free space with the maximum number of passes.

Then I would delete all partitions, create a new one and format the drive with Parted Magic.

Maybe the NSA could recover data from a drive so treated, I doubt anyone else could... ;)

3. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Ordinarily manufacturers will send you the software for free, or at a minimal cost. The most I have ever seen charged for a set of recovery discs was $25.

I can say that I have gotten software for free from Dell many times over the years.

4. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Check with the charity many do this before sending out machines anyway, and would save you the hassle, you would be ok with just wiping the drive in that case.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds