Deleting quarantined files

Discussion in 'Software' started by psk, Mar 1, 2004.

1. psk

psk Private E-2

I am running win xp home edition athon xp 256 mb 40gb hdd and have 4800 including my doom and W32netskyB viruses + files in quarantine, all having SHARE or SHARING in the name (which is where this virus locates itself) I don't know enough about which files I can safely delete and still have the computer running normally. If I delete the lot, surely I shall have system malfunctions? There are plenty of basic Windows files included in quarantine. None are repairable - I've sample checked. There are some Intuit files too - I use Quicken for a number of financial files.can I delete the lot without killing the computer............help me pleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaassssssssssse.

Thanks in advance.

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

:eek: 4800? You know, you could probably go through and delete them no problem. They're in quarantine, so by definition they're not being using by anything. But the sheer volume of infected files you have on your machine tells me it's time to wipe the disk and reinstall.

As an aside, what program quarantined them, exactly?

3. psk

psk Private E-2

the anti virus is from norton....

4. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

as already noted if they are quarantined then they are not being used anyway so deleting them shouldn't be a problem

however I'm inclined to agree with Da Chicken after having that many infections i think its time to back-up all your stuff and go for a fresh install

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds