Deleting/removing corrupt and unreadable CBS.log

Discussion in 'Software' started by css1323, Jan 25, 2011.

1. css1323

css1323 Private E-2

I have a CBS.log file that is corrupt. Anyone else run into this issue before?

Every time I boot up this Dell Inspiron laptop, it wants to run Chkdsk before startup. Yet it never seems to help. Every time I try to install Vista SP 2 or some Dell Inspiron drivers, a pop-up window down by the taskbar displays:

"The file or directory C:\Windows\Logs\CBS.log is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility."

I tried running FileAssassin, Unlocker and KillBox so far. I even tried booting into the Windows Vista/7 recovery options - tried deleting the file within the command prompt and ran Startup Repair for kicks. Even System File Checker doesn't work, it stalls at about 58%. I tried SFC under both Vista and 7 PEs to be sure. Using the 7 PE, it says there's something else "pending" and couldn't complete, not much of a revelation.

So, fellow Geeks, any tips for solving this particular issue? Any idea why the log file keeps showing me a pop-up whenever I try to run an installation? I know a complete wipe of the drive might be in order, but I got some time left to mess around. Thanks.

2. css1323

css1323 Private E-2

Anyone?

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Whenever I run into a problem like this, I boot to a Puppy linux Live CD and delete the file. If that does not delete it, then something is corrupted in the system. When deleted, SFC will create another when it is run. Download the Puppy iso file and burn with something like Imgburn.

4. css1323

css1323 Private E-2

Thanks. I got a few Linux CDs lying around.. will try that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds