Deleting temp folder under local user in Vista - safe?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Solaar, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Solaar

Solaar Private E-2

I am currently doing some lightweight cleaning of a friends computer and I was wondering what is safe to delete in the temp folder under user/appdata/local/temp?

Somehow he's managed to fill it with more than 100 gb (!) of stuff that I really see no need for but I'm afraid there might be something there that is required for the computer to keep running normally.

I've thought about creating a new user and just deleting the old one, is that a viable solution to the problem? If yes, what problems might occur then?

2. rustyjack

rustyjack MajorGeek

Click Start / run /type in %temp% and delete everything in there, if there's anything in there you can't delete it will give you the option to " Save Skip or Cancel " just click "Skip", these are files that cannot and will not allow you to delete them, that should do the trick !

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2010
  3. Solaar

Solaar Private E-2

Ok, but what about my suggestion to just replace the user account and delete the old one, is that a viable idea?

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

No, as that will involve much more work than just deleting the temp files. Did you run CCLeaner?

5. Solaar

Solaar Private E-2

Alright, thanks guys I'll go try it now.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds