Deleting the Process Description in Windows 7 Task Bar

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anthony888, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Anthony888

Anthony888 Private E-2

Does anyone know how this might be done by altering the content of the associated EXE file? In other words, is there a predictable way in which the text string that appears in the Description column of the task bar would be represented in the EXE file that it describes?

The reason I'm asking is because I have an application installed on a shared computer, and I want the process disguised in the task bar so it will not draw attention. (If this sounds shady, I guess it is, but it's not any sort of spyware, just something I would like to keep under wraps.) NOTE: I'm able to hide the application in the uninstall utility of my control panel, and I've made the program directory reasonably inconvenient to fine. I've also renamed the EXE file that appears in the task bar -- but the description still gives it away.

All I want to do is delete the description, i.e. locate the corresponding content within the EXE file and remove it without changing anything else. I've tried disassembling the file using PE Explorer, but a search for on-screen text strings turns up nothing. Admittedly I'm naive about the use of PE Explorer and the like -- so does anyone have any suggestions or know whether this is something that can be done?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds