deleting unwanted files...uuurrrrrrggggg!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by imhisbaby, Jan 9, 2008.

1. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

I have 2 movie files from limewire on my computer. They are junk and don't play anything but when I right click to delete, it does not give me the option to delete. I then tried to drag and drop.....still nothin!!! No error message comes up and nothing saying it is being used by another program, it's just that nothing happens. I cannot get rid of these darn files. What's going on?

FRUSTRATED,

imhisbaby

2. armstrong

armstrong Private E-2

Did you download these files from Limewire or did they just appear? I suggest you scan your computer for malware, as it sounds as if these may be an infection of some kind.

3. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

first off :wave and welcome to MG's.. because you cant delete a file does not mean it is malware. try this..

Pocket KillBox

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2008
  4. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

Hi to you and thanks for the suggestions. I have tried to reboot and delete in safe mode, I have aslo run malwarebytes, ccleaner, sparkle, and removalT Pro. I did these things because of some reading I did last night. Still nothing worked. I also tried killbox. I browsed for the file and when it foulnd it I selected it to delete, it said invalid path/file name(don't remember exactly it was late last night.

Some more info....it is a MPEG file 10.0 MB and my "son's friend" downloaded it from limewire I'm told. It has a long filthy name that goes on forever. I need to get rid of this as I have young children who I don't wish to see it. I cannot rename it either.

I am very frustrated with this situation!!

I will be away from my computer for a bit, but appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Sherry

5. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

On the Pocket killbox, I just did it again to see what it said the response was........."empty array" with the option to check OK.

I dunno!!!! Way over my head.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If if won't delete, maybe you can erase it. This would over write the file anywhere from 1 to 35 times so it can't be recovered.
    Eraser http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/
    You install it, then you right-click any thing you want gone and select erase.
    A box will popup with three buttons options, yes and no. Click on the options and you can select 35, 7, 3 or 1 pass. I also have checked/ticked the three boxes at the bottom. The middle choice will be grayed out because if you run a newer OS, it will do this automatically.

7. wildwolf220

8. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

Hi again. Okay, I tried the unlocker and the eraser. Still no luck.

When I right click the file it gives me only the option to play, add to wmp, open with, and send to. Although send to doen't move it anywhere.

I have also just noticed the file name(one of the files) has a web address in it.....www.sickperversions.com.................that is sooooooooooooooo embarrassing. I'm telling ya, your kids can embarrass the heck outta ya. Boys are so curious.

I hope there are more suggestions of things to try. I can't keep my little ones away from the computer much longer I'm afraid.

HHHEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPP!!!!! Need to end this nightmare soon. :(

Sherry

9. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

Hey what does "empty array" mean in the killbox program? Just curious.

Oh, and thanks for all your help. I realize I haven't said that. But I really do appreciate all the help from you and all the others.

:) :) :)

10. Rogusto

Rogusto Private E-2

Hey,

I've seen this problem before on friends computers. I've always used 'Delete FXP Files' to delete "undelete-able" files and have never had a problem with it. The free edition will allow you to delete files one at a time. Here's the link and I hope it works :)

11. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

One to try in both normal and safe modes MoveOnBoot this one, once you dragNdrop the file or browse for its location, deletes the file on reboot, so any applications that have locked the file are not running so cannot lock it before deletion

12. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

WOO HOO!!!! WOO HOO!!!!!! I first tried the "delete FXP files" thing and it work like a charm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am jumpin up and down for joy.

You are my HERO!!! Thank you sooooooo much.

Halo, I was on to your suggestion next, but thankfully my nightmare has ENDED!!!

TIME FOR A DRINK (or maybe a few :)).

13. Rogusto

Rogusto Private E-2

AWESOME!!! Glad it worked! :)

14. wildwolf220

glad you got it sorted:) if you have anymore problems post back and let us know....

15. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

Thanks. I did have an issue last night actually!!!! I about @#$* my pants! My entire computer got wiped. All my documents, programs, pics, music, everything! I eventually found all of it in C-docs-owner-my docs.

It was very strange!!! And a pain in the behind. Not sure what that was all about. Any ideas?

16. imhisbaby

imhisbaby Private E-2

Yip!! Worked great and was really quick. Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds