Dell 1501 WLAN PCIe card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peterr, Dec 10, 2013.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I took a cap off the back of my dell XPS 8300 and this is what I found. What is this used for?
    I hear so much about 3.0 usb adapters that I didn't know if this was used for it.
    Thank you
    Peter

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Wireless internet.

A USB port will look like a USB 2 port except the insert is blue instead of black.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you Plodr. It is a good tidbit to know.

I guess I'll know what the 15 pin port is for if I get a 15 pin device.

Peter

4. plodr

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I guess if it is not a dummy(being capped I pulled off) I guess i could use 2 monitors?

6. plodr

I do at times on my netbooks, especially the 7" one. I attach a 17" Samsung monitor and get to see a lot more so I don't have to scroll horizontally. I change th display from the netbook default of 800 x 480 to 1024 x 768 and turn off the netbook display. The function and F5 key toggles between netbook only, both or monitor only.

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

There seem to be many ideas from having 2 monitors to one being diabled when the other is pugged in to the new one I found capped to require internal work to be used.
    It is a moot point as I keep it capped.

Of significance is the fact that the Dell site reports "page cannot be displayed" for my XPS 8300 manual . I have had people refer me to the same site and have tried for days but cannot get the manual. I think they shut it down. I used 3 browsers.

8. plodr

Can you copy this in your address bar?
    Code:
    ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_xps_desktop/xps-8300_service%20manual_en-us.pdf
    I downloaded the over 4MB manual with no problem for an XPS 8300.

If you can't get it, send me a personal message with an email address and I will email it to you.

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Plodr - Just like when I go to Dell it says page cannot be viewed.
    I will pm.
    Peter

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Plodr
    I did as you said and will wait to hear.
    Peter

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

The attachment shows the page that says, "Page not able to open" with 3 different browsers and different times of the day.

Attached Files:

12. plodr

I'm confused. I see the complete page in your screen shot.
    Then if you click the 2nd blue link XPS 8300 Service Manual the pdf program opens in your browser and shows the manual.

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I tried Chrome, MSIE and FF and it says it cannot be viewed.
    I guess I am stuck for some reason.
    Thank you for trying anyway.
    I am using 8.1 and that could be the problem unless you are too.
    Peter
    PS I have Adobe reader 11 and checked my spam folder.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Plodr
    I don't know how but plodr just sent me a zipped file which I have saved to my documents. I don't know how and tried to copy it here but can't.
    Anyway, I have it and I really thank you for your help.
    Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2013
  15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Plodr
    I just received the attachment and cannot thank you enough. Kudos where Kudos are due and a little publicity doesn't hurt.
    Peter

16. plodr

peterr, I don't use Windows 8 and have no intention of getting a computer with it on.

You might need to ask, in a new thread, how to enable ftp in Win 8/8.1.

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Pardon my naiveté but what is ftp so I can pose the question accurately.
    Thank you
    Peter

18. plodr

ftp is file transfer protocol and is the source of all the Dell manuals. It is used to upload and download files.
    Note the link I posted in post #8 above which starts with ftp instead of http or https.

I started here ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals
    to see what was offered.
    Then I clicked the folder (all products).
    The esuprt_desktop or esuprt_laptop and last the model name like dimension, inpiron, optiplex, studio, xps.

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I clicked on the link in your last post and it said, "This page cannot be viewed ."
    Check you ftp etc.
    How do you check your ftp?

20. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

This is happening with both computers if that helps.

21. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello Plodr
    I though it important to tell you what happened so you do not do extra work. Please read the Comcast gateway setting;
    "Typical Security (Medium): Blocks P2P applications and pings to the Gateway, but allows all other traffic."
    Because both pcs were affected I thought the gateway might be the culprit. I set it to low and the manuals worked.
    I don't know what P2P is and if most have this -do they? I can adjust if I should.
    I really am sorry to give this work to you but wish to thank you very much.
    Peter

22. plodr

As I said, you need to ask in the software section of the board how to enable ftp in Win 8/8.1. I don't run it so I can't help.

Comcast is my ISP so I don't think Comcast is the problem.
    ftp is not P2P. I never to Person to person transfers.

23. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I was trying to report that I was able to download the manuals after I lowered the router(part of the gateway from Comcast) from normal to low.
    Then I accompanied the quote Comcast gives next to the setting "Typical Security (Medium): Blocks P2P applications and pings to the Gateway, but allows all other traffic" as its explanation.
    I thought this concluded the thread. I gave you a thanks and am sorry if you thought I wished to continue here, especially after all you have done. Hope to return a favor some day.
    Peter.

24. plodr

Thanks. I'm happy you now have your manuals. You might want to burn them to a data CD so you have them if you need to refer to something.
    I usually burn mine, then I might print out a page or two that I know I'll need for reference more than one time. ;)

25. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Done + I appreciate everything.
    I guess I can lower my security setting on the gateway router and access them now, as a side note. :wave

26. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi Plodr
    I thought you might find this interesting as it explains why Comcast's 'medium security' blocks P2P;

In a P2P network, the "peers" are computer systems which are connected to each other via the Internet. Files can be shared directly between systems on the network without the need of a central server. In other words, each computer on a P2P network becomes a file server as well as a client.

The only requirements for a computer to join a peer-to-peer network are an Internet connection and P2P software. Common P2P software programs include Kazaa, Limewire, BearShare, Morpheus, and Acquisition. These programs connect to a P2P network, such as "Gnutella," which allows the computer to access thousands of other systems on the network.

Once connected to the network, P2P software allows you to search for files on other people's computers. Meanwhile, other users on the network can search for files on your computer, but typically only within a single folder that you have designated to share. While P2P networking makes file sharing easy and convenient, is also has led to a lot of software piracy and illegal music downloads. Therefore, it is best to be on the safe side and only download software and music from legitimate websites.

This was only a bit of information and requires no reply.
    Regards,
    peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds