Dell 2350 wo'nt wake up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rogvalcox, Jul 25, 2005.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Working on a friends computer that is a dell 2350 desktop that the computer will not come out of power saving mode!! When I power it up I can see the lights on the drives activate as it boots up, and i'm pretty sure i'm hearing the famous click when it is supposed to wake up the monitor...but the monitor stays black and if you hit one of the buttons on the monitor it says..."In Power save mode, press any key on keyboard or move mouse"...but naturally...tha does nothing!!

Being that it has onboard video...I put a pci video card in just for kicks, and it still is the same story!! I even took the cmos battery out for a bit hoping that it would reset everything and atleast allow me to get to the bios...however...that didn't work either!!

Being that i'm away from home at the moment and my resources are VERY limited...I was hoping maybe someone was particularly firmiliar with this problem!! If so all the help would be appreciated!!

Roger

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Smart moves so far. Have you tried holding the power button down? A lot of computers that go into a sleep mode, or possibly take a power surge need to have the power button held down for 5 seconds to start up normally. Found this out the hard way sometime back similar to your own problem.

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Thanks for the quick response!!!

Unfortunately that didn't even work!!

If I hold it in for a whole 5 seconds...it powers itself back down!!

I was reading on the dell forum...supposedly dell is aware of what they call the "Sleepy LCD Syndrome" and they recommend to either reinstall the ACPI and/or flash the bios!! But guess what...how can you do that when you can't even see anything!!!!!!

Roger

4. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Yeah I did and it was the same story...unfortunately!!!!

I'm quickly thinking that it is something in the onboard video, or the bios...which, like I said I can't get into it to see what it could be or to fix it, because I can't see anything!!!! It's a big vicious circle!! It's quickly looking like the need to replace the motherboard, which there isn't any telling how much the board would cost being that it would have to come from dell!! I've heard too many stories about how dell and compaq and gateway, etc...change things on their boards and psu's so that only their specific product will work with one another....unless someone can definately prove my theory wrong!! cause changeing the mobo myself isn't a big deal...it's just what one would have to go through in order to get the appropriate board from dell and how ridiculous it would cost!!!

I'm all ears!!

Roger

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Just a bump....see if anyone else has anymore ideas...or someone missed it!!

Thanks
    Roger

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Unplug the computer from the wall socket,remove the cmos battery,put the cmos jumper in the reset position,then press the power button a few times to drain anything thats left,have a brew,put the cmos jumper back,battery back,press the power switch a few more times for luck then plug it back in and give it a whirl! ;)

7. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Well unfortunately....nothing is working!!!!!

The guy has now decided to just to order a new motherboard from dell...since the video is onboard...you now have to replace the whole stinking motherboard!!!! Hell...now that I think of it....THE WHOLE STINKING SYSTEM IS ONBOARD

GAWD....I HATE DELL!!!!!!!

Roger

I'll get off my soapbox now!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds