Dell 4600 - network card issues - driver help

Discussion in 'Software' started by pam65, Aug 23, 2010.

1. pam65

pam65 Private E-2

Dell 4600 performed reinstall w/Dell CD of system XP Home
    Existing Linksys Etherfast 10/100 LAN card, plugged in (integrated network card was blown 2 yrs ago in lightening storm) Linksys has had no issues since install.
    Cannot get network card to be seen, nor accepting FiOs connection. Device Mgr shows Network adapter Intel(r) Pro/100 VE, exclamation on Ethernet Controller. HW wizard, n/a, goes into forever mode searching the Linksys CD for the WinXP driver - I know I'm missing something and about 80% sure its a driver.
    ipconfig/all posts:
    node type: broadcast
    IP routing enabled - NO
    Window Prox enable - NO
    Ethernet Adapter Media - disconnected
    Description: Intel Pro/100 VE
    Physical address: 00 0c F1 83 EC E2

When I ran the "verizon connect-me-dammit CD" a bubble pops up saying Network cable is disconnected..?
    Linksys card is showing weak LED orange light. I have another computer w/same Linksys card and swapped them to make sure card wasn't bad.

I had to use the Westall wireless adapter to connect and upload all updates which connects fine

Running Dell 4600, XP Home, AVG 9.0, SPybot. Theres only about 5 programs on this machine. FF/IE/MS Works/Picassa/OO
    Oh, this FiOs line is also hooked on my good computer 24/7 and its working fine. Trying to fix this Dell for my sister who obtained that nasty trojan antimalware_doctor (plus 5 others than spontaneously dl while online viewing simple pdf file) Thanks for ideas/replies/solutions/ or sympathy...

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. pam65

pam65 Private E-2

Was looking online and I saw from another forum of the Dell 4600 re-install order; listing Win OS>chipset>video adap.>Audio>NIC driver install. I didn't have these directions on my re-install. Would anyone know if this plays an important role to my dilemma?and if a re-re-install looks to be my only choice to correctly install these drivers in order? (anything in safe boot I could avoid doing a re-re-install?):cry

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I would before a reinstall, just install the Chipset driver for you Dell model and reboot (crucial to reboot) then install the network driver and reboot and see if your internet is working ok now.

If not please name any devices in device manager with yellow ! marks by them, plus tell us what if any security software you have installed?

4. pam65

pam65 Private E-2

Hi - reinstalled chipset/network drivers (one-at-a-time) rebooted in between.
    After MS Wiz begun for new hw I tried the Linksys LNE100TX CD, no avail - went into forever mode trying to find driver, and kicked me out saying there was none to be found.
    DM:
    Under NEtwork adapter: Intel pro/100 VE connection
    PCI Bus 1, device 8 function 0 - item working properly

yellow Exclamation mark still on the Ethernet Controller; PCI Slot 2 (PCI Bus 1 device 1, Func.0) - This device is not configured correctly Code 1.

Security Software: AVG 9.0/ Spybot/ MS rec. security items on.

5. DavidGP

Hi

Open up the BIOS (key to enter the BIOS should pop up as soon as you boot the PC) then find and disable the onboard ethernet, then save and exit the BIOS, have a feeling Windows is trying to use the dead Intel VE network controller over your Linksys.

Check in device manager, does the Intel Network show up?

Then grab the latest driver from Lynksys for your model card HERE (need to knwo the hardware model version, otherwise would have linked to it derectly, but instructions are on the page to find out what model version you have.

6. pam65

pam65 Private E-2

:guns
    Thanks for the advice, you last comment is exactly what I think is going on, I don't know if this is becuz of XP home, but I never had such issues using Pro, which I use on my other machines.
    Entered BiOs, they have the Integrate Network controller under a "+ of the other items integrated on the mobo. Changed entry from "on" to "off". Rebooted. Intel VE driver item disappears (yea!), XP still pops up "found new hw and starts wizard". The driver is the same as what is on the Linksys CD I have , I tried both options (downloaded file from website & go-fetch on CD) to install the Ethernet Controller. Why do I remember Pro having a wizard of letting XP find it? XP wizard only options are CD or exact subfolder on computer. I tried forcing any Linksys Ethernet Controller to be identified, but XP didn't bite.
    Then I took your previous comment of reinstalling Chipset, -wrong - it reinstalled the Intel Ve driver and turned the Network Controller back on.
    I inserted the Ethernet cable in this integrated network card, which connects and XP sees, but can only access limited connectivity ( this was the blown card from 2 yrs ago), just wanted to make sure it wasn't coming back to life - its defiantly a ghost (well or part zombie since it has minimal life)
    So XP will gladly turn on the zombie blown integrated card and not have anything to do on turning on the Linksys.
    I took the 2nd Linksys card I have from a good computer and tried installing that - nada - same results.
    End results as previous post, Device Mgr say Intel VE network is "working fine" and yellow exclamations on the Ethernet controller. XP keeps seeing it as new hardware.
    I despise integrated components...if its dead or diseased it should be able to be removed and disposed of...
    Thanks again for all your replies and suggestions - if a reinstall is in order is there anyway of making the zombie card not recognized upon installation?

7. DavidGP

Hi

Shouldnt be a difference between Home and Pro XP for this device, Pro just adds more tools for corporate network usage.

What Service Pack is your XP at?

But I would disable the onboard intel network again, as its definatly not going to work now, then reboot and then enter Network Connections menu window and check that the only one listed is your Linksys, delete any others, then reboot and try the internet again.

8. pam65

pam65 Private E-2

Hi yes svc pk is up-to-date:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

I think me playing around with these drivers messed up XP/system too much. I cannot get XP to install the driver in its location. via cd/dl file both failed. I have an old Dell l550r and 4700 that I installed Linksys cards to w/o problems, have no idea why this 4600 is a failure with me. Later I'll try another re-install and turned off the integrated network card before installing the drivers in order.

9. DavidGP

HI Pam

Sounds like a good idea and let me know how you get on

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds