Dell 5160-No Start

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mudmanjw, Apr 28, 2008.

1. mudmanjw

mudmanjw Private E-2

Got a Dell 5160 Laptop. Just got Dell to replace power supply, A/C adapter and a bunch of other stuff under warranty back in February for the common overheating issue. That was the last month of warranty. Well last week my wife got the message to switch to AC power from battery but when she plugged it in the screen went blank and the computer shut off immediately. Have since left it plugged in but it still will not even attempt to boot up. I've pulled out the battery and even switched to another AC adapter to no avail. I've noticed that if I just plug in the AC adapter to the laptop no lights will blink on the front of the computer. If I pull out the battery and then plug in the adapter, the lights will blink orange for a second. If I then unplug the adapter and then replug it, the lighlts will not blink. I'm pretty sure that the battery is dead and not recharging. But for what reason, I'm not sure. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Even if the battery is dead, a good laptop should run on AC power with the battery in or out.
    Now you said you switched to another AC power adapter...are you sure it was a match? If not, you could have fried something.

3. mudmanjw

mudmanjw Private E-2

yes it was a match. Have used it before as a spare. Exact same AC adapter.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. mudmanjw

mudmanjw Private E-2

Ok. Read those other problems. Thanks. May be motherboard or fan. How do I tell which may be the problem. I took it all apart the other day but did not notice any obvious signs. Checked what I could. Also just to note. It will not boot at all. No sounds. No blinking lights. Nothing. Dell replaced the motherboard, heat sink, keyboard, AC power adapter and fan.

6. mudmanjw

mudmanjw Private E-2

Just to update. Got a new battery(used ebay-cheap) and still no go. Exact same situation.
    Looked really close at old MoBo and found a small burn mark on a chip with a bunch of connections(about 15 on each of 4 sides) to the board located a couple of inches from where the battery meets board(not really sure what it is). Replaced MoBo with refurb.
    Old battery did exact same as before. No lights. No fan. No blinking. Nothing. Put new(used) battery in and battery light would blink amber 10 times and still no start.
    Noticed that the green light on the AC adapter had gone out on both AC adapters(I have a spare). Unplugged adapters from AC and computer and replugged and both came on.
    Pulled out battery and used AC adapter to power up and it started fine(remember it would not do this before replacing MoBo).
    Put old battery in and battery light flashes amber for about a second and then computer dies. Tried the new(used) battery and it does the same.
    So what i think happened is that either my old battery shorted/died and burned up the old MoBo or vice versa. This may have burned up the new(used) battery as well or I may have just gotten screwed out of $12 for a dead battery.
    Now computer running fine on AC power alone with no battery. Gonna get a new battery and go from there. Hopefully the new battery will work and be ready to go.
    Dell doesn't even offer a replacement MoBo for this laptop anymore. They don't even show the MoBo part number on my Laptop parts list using my Tag Number(I know it used to). They probably just want to wash their hands of the whole inspiron 5150/5160 power failure issue. Just about all that is available is refurbed MoBo's on the internet or some really expensive new ones. Likely gonna get rid of the laptop and buy another one. Not a Dell. They have kind of ended up on my bad side with the way they have handled this problem. I guess other companies may be the same; but who knows.
    Sorry for the rant but I had to vent a little. FED UP WITH DELL.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds