DELL D620 video memory, confusing...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dtvonly, Oct 13, 2011.

1. dtvonly

dtvonly Private E-2

Hi. I have a Dell Latitude D620 (with the T7200 dual core CPU). When I checked the System Information, I saw only a 64MB video RAM. However, the tecnical specs from DELL stated that depending on system RAM, the video RAM can be as high as 512MB. What is going on? So do I have only 64MB or up to 512MB (depending on video demands at that time)?

My D620 specs:
    - Windows 7 Enterprise.
    - 2GHz dual core (T7200 CPU)
    - 2GB system RAM
    - 80GB HDD

Do I just need to have the proper video driver? I don't want to upgrade the video card - I don't think I can if I wanted too (according to some forums).

Thanks.

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's,

Your video card has 64MB memory chip,but, it will utilise any spare system Ram to make it run better, so the more Ram available the better the graphics!! So I would personally upgrade the amount of Ram to the MAX your system will take.
    This is the spec's for that machine....

Latitude D620 Memory Specifications

Standard Memory 256 MB (removable)
    Maximum Memory 4.0 GB
    Memory Expansion 2 sockets
    Memory Comments PC2-4200/5300 DDR2 SDRAM SODIMMs. Supports Dual Channel DDR2.
    CPU Type Intel Core Duo
    Model Comments 667MHz FSB, Intel 945PM or 945GM (Intel GMA950 systems) Chipset.

so to upgrade the Ram it would have to be done with Dual Channel modules and I would go for the faster speeds of PC2-5300 something like this....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4GB-RAM-Mem...501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256845bbe5

3. dtvonly

dtvonly Private E-2

Hi. thanks for the reply.
    I have read through the D620 manual but no where does it mention the max per memory slot (SLOTA and B (on the bottom of the laptop)).

With 4GB max, can I assume that each slot will take a max 2GB? The reason why I am asking this is that SLOTA is more difficult to gain access to while SLOTB is much easier to get to. So must both be upgraded or this scenerio:
    SLOTA = 1GB
    SLOTB = 3GB (if there is such a part)

or SLOTA = 2GB and SLOTB=2GB.

Thanks again.

4. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Watch this video on how to upgrade your Ram, it is very easy to do..

http://youtu.be/sOWOGopz1_4

it is very easy to follow you do not need to remove the keyboard completely like in the video as you can get adequite access to the slot to change the modules.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  5. dtvonly

dtvonly Private E-2

thanks iain.t for your help.

6. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

No Problem ;),

Just pleased to be able to help you!! any more issues create a new thread and one of us will jump in to offer whatever help/advice we can give.

7. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds