Dell Dimension 3000 memory upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tnelson, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Hello, rookie here.

I'm looking to add some memory to my aging Dimension 3000 to help speed things up a bit. Currently I have 512MB RAM (2x256MB modules). I want to replace with 2x512MB modules for a 1G total.
    Two questions:

1.) I see options for DDR 333 (PC2700) or DDR 400 (PC3200) . I know this has to do with the speed, but was wondering which would be better or maybe I should say, which would give the best performance?

Currently in the BIOS it shows the memory speed at 333 MHz, if that makes any difference

2.) OR....would it make more sense to just install a 1G module in one slot in either PC2700 or PC3200.

Any advice appreciated as I'm somewhat confused.

Dell Dimension 3000
    Windows XP home addition
    Pentium 4 processor
    512MB RAM (2x256MB)

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I would go with the PC-3200 for the speed if the motherboard supports it.
    What speed is your P4? I know it's a socket 478.
    Also, is it a Northwood or a Prescott?

3. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

2.8 GHz CPU

Northwood or Prescott... how can I find out, your talking to a dummy here. :-o

How bout going with a single 1G module vs twin 512's. Any thoughts on that?

4. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Ok, I did some checking around and I think I have Prescott.

L2 cache size = 1024KB
    bus speed = 533 MHz

Any thoughts either way on going with a single 1G module vs twin 512's?

And as long as were on the subject what about brands? Thoughts on Crucial or Kingston?

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Since the 3000 has a 2GB max (according to Dell) , why not go all the way?
    If 1GB is all you want, I would go with the 2x512 option.( If one goes bad, machine can still operate.
    Kingston or Crucial? Both are good products. Have used both and satisfied by both.
    Is your P4 a HyperThreading model?

6. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

I think 1GB would suffice for now, not sure how much longer I'm going to keep this machine or at least use it when I upgrade to something new. 2x512's seem like a good plan.

Not sure about the hyperthreading.

I still am confused as to the PC2700 vs PC3200. you said go with 3200 if the motherboard supports it, from the info I gave you would mine support it?

My current memory speed is 333 MHz, does that mean that it was designed for such or does that just mean the speed of what's in there now?

7. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

Sometimes it's what the motherboard will run reliably. I had a Dell Optiplex GX270-SMT. Would take up to 4Gb max. BUT if you put in 4Gb (2 x2Gb) it had to be PC2700. Less than 4Gb you could use PC3200 (according to the manual and a few online memory configuration guides).

And a lot of times for everyday usage the average user wouldn't notice any difference between the two.

Sam

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Size of L2 cache says Prescott.
    I currently am running 2 machines with P4(socket 478. Both have only 1GB of PC3200 installed and do the job I request from them. Not into heavy jobs.
    Reason on the HyperThreading was if you do have an HT processor, could provide you with a small boost. Have a good 3.0GHz P4 (HT) just removed from one of my machines. Took it to 3.4GHz.

9. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

Thanks for all the advice guys.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Since you do not have to install as matched pairs, why not buy a 1GB stick and also use one of the 256MB sticks you have?

11. Tnelson

Tnelson Private E-2

I was under the impression after reading through the owners manual that NOT using matched pairs could reduce performance somewhat??

From the owner's manual.
    That's seems to be what I have read elsewhere too regarding the use of matched pairs with dual channel memory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds