Dell Dimension 4100 (memory single or double sided?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jak3y, Aug 16, 2005.

1. jak3y

jak3y Guest

finally figured out the memory i need, BUT, question is, do i need single or double sided...now Corsairs websit recommends acts about the CMSS256MB-133 and a local computer store has an "IN-STORE" BRAND with a 1year warranty for half the price of a decent priced entry level name brand stick of memory...
    anyone know off hand, if i need single or double...or should i stick with double since it should work fine either way...

thanks.

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Just take the stick out. If there are black chips on both sides, it's double-sided, and if only on one side, then single-sided. It makes sense :)

I would go with Corsair. Or some name brand. Online is about 99.9% of the time cheaper than in a store, and most name brands like Corsair have a lifetime warranty.

3. jak3y

jak3y Guest

thanks Antik...didnt know that...learning about the internal hardware now...well at least trying anyway :)....

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

This system also took SDRAM and sometimes plain wrapper memory does not talk well unless you install in pairs. I upgraded from Staples last year and 512 (2 256 sticks) is the max the 815 board will take.

There are a lot of threads on the Dell Forums. Type Dimension 4100 and you will find them. :) Some areas of this box cannot be upgraded.

5. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well it's single sided but the local store here is selling only double sided...that wouldn't have any ill effects would it? im assuming not...

6. jak3y

jak3y Guest

well i decided to get crucial memory...BUT, after doin a crucial scan, i got 2 choices of 256 RAM.
    SDRAM, PC133 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64
    is the first...

SDRAM, PC133 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 133MHz • 3.3V • 32Meg x 64
    is the second choice...
    ...so what's the difference here?

7. jak3y

jak3y Guest

anyone...? :confused:

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

9. jak3y

jak3y Guest

perfect thanks Halo.
    btw would you happen to know if i needed only single sided modules and used double sided would that have any effect or just get single sided?
    thanks. :)

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Some older motherboards can be fussy towards doublesided memory, but if the retailer you can get doublesided memory off, will swap or refund you then go with what they have.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds