dell dimension 4300s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by parachick, Jan 5, 2011.

1. parachick

parachick Private E-2

I was recently given a dell mimension 4300s tower and was told i would just need to reformat the hard drive, well i dont have the discs to do so and was wondering if there is a way that i can reformat this thing with out the discs. i have tried <ctrl> and F11 at startup and other various things to no avail. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreicated.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Sorry, but you will need a disc to reformat. How were you planning on installing an OS once it was reformatted?

3. parachick

parachick Private E-2

washopping that i would be able to do a pc restore with out a disc like some pcs have. basicly set it back like it was when it was bought. but i dont have that luck. lol. question, if i go out and buy a new windows xp disc would that get the system working?

4. parachick

parachick Private E-2

i was told that the operating system has some files missing. if that helps any.

5. TimW

Yes, if you purchase an operating system you will be fine. It's a question of what OS you want to install:
    XP
    Vista
    Win7.

Your system spec's might determine which OS you install. Do you know how much ram is installed? How big is the hard drive. How old is this system?

6. parachick

parachick Private E-2

im just gonna go with windows xp like was origianly on the system, and i prefer that over vista any way. Thank you for the advice:-D

7. parachick

parachick Private E-2

im not sure about the specs, i wish i knew more about pc's lol

8. TimW

If it had XP, then yes, that would be the easiest thing to do. Hang around the forums and you will learn a lot more about your system and spec's.

9. parachick

parachick Private E-2

i will do so for sure. thank you.

10. TimW

You are most welcome. ;)

11. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

If you have the name of the previous owner, and the Service Tag number from the Dimension, contact Dell via their Chat.

Explain to them you have taken ownership of this PC, and normally they will send you the XP discs for free. Just pay shipping.

Hope that helps.

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And welcome to Major geeks, parachick.

13. parachick

parachick Private E-2

Thanks for the advice guys, i tried to talk with people from dell and got a major run around:banghead so now i have a new question. what other operating system witll the dimension 4300s support? i have been looking online for hours trying to find where i can buy a copy of windows xp and im just about pulling my hair out. lol

14. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

15. parachick

parachick Private E-2

thank you

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Also you could try eBay.
    Have bought quite a bit from there.

17. the mekanic

After reviewing the specs, I would not even try to run Vista on this machine.

It's maximum SDRAM memory capacity is 512MB.

Even with AVG as your anti-virus, it would still hamper the speed of this PC, running XP SP3 (service pack 3).

This PC is around seven years old.

I'm actually surprised at Dell. Whenver I deal with them to obtain software for recovered PCs, I give them the service tag, and the name of the previous owner, and have no issue getting an XP disc for that PC. The great thing about a Dell disc, is that it is simply an XP disc. As long as you have a valid COA (license key) from the label on the PC, you have a valid copy of Windows on machine x.

18. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

19. the mekanic

Dell specifies 512MB.

Usually with a Dell, the Service Tag determines which motherboard, and CPU it was shipped with.

Frequently, multiple motherboards will be used on the same model of Dimension. There are at least five diferent CPUs this PC could have been shipped with.

If Crucial says 1GB, I'd usually trust them, but I'd do a scan first.

20. parachick

parachick Private E-2

well an update on the dell dimension 4300s, my husband got a copy of xp from a friends of his that workds on pc's. i tried to run it, every thing was going fine until several files were not able to be copied to the computer. the instillation stopped and every time i try now i get a blue stop screen stating windows was closed to protect the computer from damage. at this point im going to bring the computer to someone else to get it going.

21. parachick

parachick Private E-2

im thinking maybe a new hard drive?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds