dell dimension 5150 won't turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Louise67, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Louise67

Louise67 Private E-2

Hello people! I need help with dell dimension 5150 desktop. When I try to turn it on it makes a weird buzzing sound and tries to start, green lights on front panel, then turns off again. Does anyone have any ideas?:confused

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Try repeatedly tapping F2 on boot, (or maybe the del key, if F2 doesn't work).

This should get you in the BIOS, if you get there, your MOBO should be ok, if not, not so good.

Open the tower, reseat your RAM sticks, and make certain all connections are good, especially to the hard drive. This works just often enough to make it worth a shot.

Make sure the power is disconnected first, press the start button several times, wait about 20 minutes before going in.

I'll have to add the prognosis isn't good for this machine.

Good luck!

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

The sound may be the cpu fan being bad, more than likely the shut down is the bad fan. pull sidecover off and see if fan is running at full speed while trying to boot. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds