Dell Dimension XP R450 - Bootup probs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SKK, Jan 9, 2005.

1. SKK

SKK Private E-2

I have an on old Dell XP RS450, Pentium II, Windows 98, 256k Ram which unfortunately I have not been able to bootup for a while (carried on connecting to the World via laptops).

Anyways, I want to see if I can get this Dell up and running (for the kids). On power up, I can hear the h/drive, keyboard lights flash on/off, hear all the relevant beeps, screen powers up and displays the following in sequence;

(a) Dell splash screen
    (b) safe startup mode
    (c) Windows 98 screen
    (d) virus software startup screen
    (e) ....and then the ususal blank screen!

If I leave it in this state, eventually the auto scandisk kicks in and comes on screen...but does not seem to do anything. Any thoughts,ideas etc would be helpful.....before I start tearing apart under the guise of troubleshooting ;)

2. Doby

Doby Sergeant

By your discription I guess you don't have anything on there that you need so I would try a reinstall of the operating system first and see if that works.

Rick

3. SKK

SKK Private E-2

reinstalled the Ops system (Wind 98) and the box boots up ok. Thanks.

4. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Glad you got it working easy, some of the problems I have been try to help with lately arent going as well

your welcome

Rick

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds