Dell F2 setup does not work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcali2330, Sep 11, 2010.

1. mcali2330

mcali2330 Private E-2

I have a Dell Dimension 8100 desktop with a Phoenix BIOS. The machine was originally an Win 2000/ME computer that was upgraded to WinXP. I can NOT get into setup! I tried all other key combos, I even tried unplugging the hard drive and the CD drive, F2 still does not work! I can not boot from a CD either. How do I get this machine to enter setup!?

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Did you upgrade to the latest BIOS version before you installed XP?

Not saying it's the problem, but it may be part of it.

How much Rambus memory (RAM) do you have installed, by the way?

It's been a while since I've seen a PC that had RIMM modules in it.

3. the mekanic

This is a Socket 423 PC, with a CPU somewhere in the range of 1.3 to 2.0 GHz, yes?

If you are interested, I think I have 1.4 GB of Rambus RAM in an old Dell.

EDIT:

Just double-checked. I do still have that old Dell.

4. the mekanic

That old Dell with Rambus memory on board, it is actually a Socket 478 model, and has a 2.2 GHz CPU, as well as 1.25 GB of RAM.

Still works, I know because I just booted it up, and that old copy of XP is still live 'n' kickin.

:)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds