dell gx 110 optiplex default settings HELP!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by magickman, Jan 11, 2008.

1. magickman

magickman Private E-2

I have had a problem with this computer and cannot seem to either ask the right questions or something, so here is what I need, how to reset the computer to original factory settings and to install my windows xp from my cd, at this point I cannot get it to boot the cd to even install a fresh copy of xp, I have tried going to dell but they keep me going in circles and to be honest confused! Can anyone please explain this in english? or maybe draw (DUH) me a picture? I'm about ready to play soccer with this thing...thanks Magickman:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You must enter the BIOS on the computer to set the boot order so the CD boots first. On most Dell PC's, you get into BIOS (also called CMOS or Setup) by pressing F2 right when you first turn on the PC and the Dell logo comes up. Just keep pressing F2 repeatedly until you get into the BIOS. In the BIOS you can set the date and time (make sure it's correct), the boot order, and lots of other things. The main thing you'll be looking for is time/date and boot order. It might label the boot order as "Boot Device Priority" or something similar. You'll use the arrow keys and sometimes the + and - or PgUp/PgDwn to navigate the BIOS and make your selections. Oh, and some PC's don't use the F2 key; Del is popular, so is F1..... when you do get it to boot from the CD, be sure your XP disc is in the drive, and you'll see "Press any key to boot from CD....." and you'll press any key to begin the install.
    Good Luck!

Here's a link you should find helpful: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx110/en/ug/sysetup.htm
    And here's another (esp. the 'Boot Sequence' section) : http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx110/en/ug/setupopt.htm

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If your computer does not allow you to boot from the CD, you'll know when you look in the BIOS and don't see it as an option (I have an old Dell Optiplex GX1 with this "feature") post back and I can tell you how to get it to boot from the CD so you can decide if you want to restore it to factory condition or boot to a new install of XP.

4. magickman

magickman Private E-2

Well thanks for helping, I did all of the above and I cannot get it to boot to my windows cd,I finally got the cd rom to show and selected it first on boot,bt now it's in some kind of loop,whenever I try to run the system it goes to my os choices and only one those will work but just in safe mode, I'm lost please help and thanks very much too! Magickman

5. plodr

You can not get it to boot the restore CD from Dell?

6. magickman

magickman Private E-2

I do not have dell restore cd all I have is my xp cd.

7. magickman

magickman Private E-2

I STILL NEED HELP!! Dell GX 110, Anyone?

8. plodr

You will not be able to get this computer to boot from just any XP CD. It is a Dell. It has a hidden partition and the computer is expecting to see the Dell restore CD. You need to purchase the restore CD from Dell if you did not reeive this with the computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds