Dell GX150 BIOS Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jberd99usa, Jul 14, 2009.

1. jberd99usa

jberd99usa Private E-2

I'm having major BIOS problems with a Dell Optiplex GX150. I'm looking to get assistance with someone here that has this type of experience. CPU shuts down on a whim. Keyboard failures, drives not found, no boot to safe mode, etc. etc. I have a chat log with dell I can submit when they couldn't help. If someone can help further I will be more than glad to post all info I have. I'm lucky I got this posted before it shut down so if I don't get back right away I'm trying to boot and reboot until it works and I can get online. Thanks,

jberd99usa

I'm running Avira AV and wondering if sites such as Facebook and My Space are contributors to crap into the machine. I don't use these sites but others on this machine do. Just a question.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you checked the power supply? What kind of temperatures do you see?
    It could either be a marginal power supply or a heat problem or maybe the two in combination. If those both appear normal, run a test on the memory.

3. jberd99usa

jberd99usa Private E-2

Question for my own post. Could thermal paste problem cause this situation? My system is not supported for thermal monitoring or temperature sensing diodes. Fans are both working. I removed the last "slot cover" for more air flow and dedusted the inside and noticed that the heat sink and fan with cooling fins is not tight...wiggles. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    jberd99usa

4. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

I've worked on many GX150's .

The first thing I suggest you do is replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard.

Being able to wiggle the the CPU heatsink on a GX150 is normal.

5. jberd99usa

jberd99usa Private E-2

Thanks.
    That is what I concluded also. I ran a check with Everest I think, or maybe Advanced System Care 3 and the battery check said "No Battery Installed".
    Well, it's there. (#2302) I will replace it and found out that I can do it without unplugging power supply from wall and I will have 5v of residual power to save CMOS settings. I only have to discharge static and change battery quickly. Dell chat said maybe MOBO. This system is so old and only 10g that I wouldn't waste my time. Just a new battery and some thermal grease. Artic 5 I hear is a good product. Thanks again and any other free or cheap advice is appreciated. Got a Hijack this log if anyone wants to take a look and advise.

jberd99usa

6. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

I wouldn't consider changing the battery while the unit is plugged in.

It's easier to load the default settings then it is taking a chance on ruining it .

On the thermal compound,

Arctic siver is highly over rated + it's conductive so you have to be carefull with it.

I have tried many different brands.

The Silicon based heat sink compund sold by Radio Shack [$3.] works as well as any & better the3n some + it's NON conductive.
    [if you get a little on the motherboard & don't notice it the mobo won't short out & die.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  7. jberd99usa

jberd99usa Private E-2

Thanks for the advice. Radio shack it is. How to reload default settings? Step by step please.
    jberd99usa

8. fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue Private E-2

After you change the battery & start the unit you will get a message & will need to press F1 [I think] to run the seyup
    You will need to set the day/date & time
    Once that is done simply exit saving the changes.
    The defaults shoud be set by default. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds