Dell Inspiron 1000, blank screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bg9208, Jul 3, 2012.

1. bg9208

bg9208 Private First Class

Hi My Dell Inspiron 1000 switches on OK and all the rights light up and the battery is charging OK. On switch on, the fan runs and HDD light stays on between 10 seconds or over a minute and the latter is unable to switch off by depressing Start button.
    There is no screen activity whatever either on the display or when attached to a working monitor. Suggestions please of likely cause.

TIA

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Sounds like your graphics chip has died. With a laptop because most video chips can not be replaced or a graphics card can not be added, your best bet is to sell off the parts and save for a new notebook/netbook.

3. bg9208

Thought it might terminal and that confrims it

Thanks

4. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Have you tried to connect the Laptop to another monitor and see if it works on there.

Or Does your Laptop Come with a VGA connection on the back or side check and try to connect to another screen.it just might be your screen gone bad.

A normal LCD screen should work with this test.

5. bg9208

Yes I did try that with negative result

6. Dell_NavinR

Dell_NavinR Private E-2

Hello,

My name is Navin and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.

Please try the below steps,

Connect the AC Adapter to the system, Hold down the Fn key and then press the power button to turn on the system. This will initiate the diagnostics for the system. Check if there is any video on the screen.
    If there is no video then the system board is at fault.
    Also check if the Dell logo is displayed once the system is powered on.

For more information please click on the link below,

http://dell.to/Nqny9p

Please revert back for any clarifications.

Thanks & Regards
    Dell_NavinR
    Dell Social Media Responder

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds