Dell Inspiron 1501 battery issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by One to Remember, Sep 21, 2013.

1. One to Remember

One to Remember Private E-2

I have a dell inspiron 1501 that has a lot of issues. The two major issues were the keyboard not fully working, not being able to reset the entire thing since I don't have the win xp sign in password and the battery. When I first got it it took it awile to charge up. Eventually it did charge up but then it would not charge up as effectively. It reached the point were it would not charge at all. I got a third party battery for it that had some juice from its factory of origins and that turned her back on. It also charged her up once too. I am thinking the issue is the device that works as an intermediary between the battery and the battery socket connector/jack. The computer is expendable so I am willing to experiment here so I am okay with the risks. I need to find out what areas on the battery correspond to. I have been told the little connectors in the battery correspond to a pos, a 2ns pos, neg, something that verifies the brand of the battery and a few other things. I want to just wire my charger to the right clips on the battery but have no schematics. I used an alt meter on it but I guess maybe the battery was so dead there was nothing to pick up on. I hope someone here is familiar enough with this to help me then I will tackle its other issues. My main laptop my cq56 just died on me so I gotta fix my dell and fujitsu on the cheap so I can not by an external charger and will not. Thanks for reading guys.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

First, I'm assuming the PC works properly when it is connected to AC power. If this is not the case, the problem may be either your power adapter or internal power jack.

If the PC does stay on when plugged in, I suspect the new battery may be defective. If you can return it for a refund, I would do so.

Here is the brand of battery I sell in my shop. It's not the cheapest, but still less than half of what you'd pay getting one from Dell. It has very good customer reviews:

http://www.amazon.com/Extended-Capa...sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_img?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Hope this helps. :)

3. One to Remember

yea im trying to bypass everything and just directly charge the battery with the wires from the cord, im saying I don't know the schematics to identify which of the slits in the battery is for what.. I don't need any other batteries I have plenty of batteries, I know its the computers fault but I know I can bypass it. if any one has a direct answer that would be much appreciated.

4. One to Remember

yea I mean it worked before with everything working, it worked with just the cord at one point, it worked with the new battery and no cord off the bat with the juice it came with upon arrival.

5. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Problem is you would need to know what the voltage regulator output is for the charging circuit. Even if you tested the proper terminals and got a voltage reading, it will be less under load with a battery installed. The information you want would require a technical manual which is not readily available to most of the working public. You could try messaging someone who fixes computers on e-bay via mail order, as there are people fix motherboards on a component level for a flat rate.

Even if you did figure out the pins, and should you set it up wrong wired directly to the charger, improperly charging a Li-ion cell can result in personal injury, and they do explode on occasion under the right circumstances.

You do have something to risk losing other than hardware.

6. One to Remember

I know when I asked on yahoo a few months back a dell rep actually responded and said they didn't disclose that type of information lol. that's why I came to this site because I know people here fix computers. so you basically think that I will over charge the battery in seconds if I don't know the out put? how long do you think im gonna charge it? im just trying to get it back on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds