Dell Inspiron 1501 notebook - add firewire card advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eblackwell, Sep 2, 2008.

1. eblackwell

eblackwell Private E-2

Dell has burned me twice on this, so sadly, I don't trust them anymore to give me advice.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501 running VISTA. It has no firewire ports (although they told it did when I was looking for which laptop to buy). I want to do video capturing from a digital camcorder; they had recommended a hub, but after playing with THAT, IOGear says the hub doesn't do that.

I read that the best thing to do is install a Firewire card. My 1501 has an ExpressCard slot, so theoretically, installing a Firewire into it shouldn't be hard. Right? Can you recommend a good Firewire card for a decent price and easy install?

2. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

Generally, make sure you are getting a Firewire ExpressCard, not to be mistaken with PCMCIA (which is the older standard). Installing usually isn't difficult, most cases you can plug them in and then install the software, or install software then plug un. Just follow the instrcutions, if anything gets messed up its usually because the software doesn't get loaded when it's supposed to.

For instance printers, you must load the software first before ever plugging them in, otherwise you'll never print.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I did a search at NewEgg and found about 6 or 8 different cards that would work. None of them had a single 5 star (or 5 egg) review, and most had really bad reviews for both Vista and XP. I found this one with no reviews:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16839104016
    It almost looks like the firewire technology and express slot technology just don't mesh well. I've used some regular old PCMCIA firewire cards and they worked fine. But this is another issue with the express slot. Personally, I can't remember ever seeing any laptops with built-in firewire. I'll look around for a USB>Firewire adapter if such a thing even exists....

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds