Dell Inspiron 4000 Video Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keeferj2, Apr 26, 2008.

1. keeferj2

keeferj2 Private First Class

I have a Dell Inspiron 4000 with Windows 2000 loaded. The computer boots up without issue but the screen realestate is very small. I've tried to increase the screen through the Control Planel Display settings, but no joy.

I've looked at the BIOS and can't see anything that would increase the viewable screen size.

Any ideas?:confused

2. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

It sounds like you do not have the video driver installed for the system. If the driver isn't loaded, and the system is set to not stretch the display to fit the LCD panel, you will get a black border around the edges (how big depends on the resolution of the display and LCD panel).

You can get all of the latest drivers for the system here. The driver specific for the video card is http://ftp.dell.com/video/R54215.EXE.

If you have any questions about the drivers or the system I'll be happy to help.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

3. keeferj2

keeferj2 Private First Class

Thank you for the response. I found that press Function F7 at the boot up changes the screen image. It was on the Dell support page buried in several levels down on video display problems.

I was just coming back to post this information when I got your response.

4. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

Yeah, Fn+F7 will stretch the display to fit the entire panel (while Fn+F8 switches between the internal display, external display and both at once). From your description I had thought you were unable to set the resolution to that of the LCD panel, which normally would be due to the video driver not being installed.

I'm glad to hear things were so easily solved. If you had other questions about the Dell I'll be happy to answer them.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds