Dell Inspiron 531with no active network found message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Walt1406, May 1, 2013.

1. Walt1406

Walt1406 Private E-2

Hello, I have a dell inspiron 531 running windows xp pro sp3. Recently, I had some Internet connection issues. Under the my network places, I deleted my "local" connection. My plan was to delete the Ethernet controller adapter and have windows find it and reinstall it. I couldn't delete it so I think that I uninstalled the drivers. That was a big mistake. Now when I right click on the device (nvidia ) Ethernet card under device manager, I get a no response message. When I do the network set wizard, it tells me that it can't find my hardware. I can see it under device manager but it has an exclamation mark. I am also having a problem with missing (windows management instrumentation) files. I don't know if this is part of the problem or not but I am having problems installing programs as well. Please help! Thanks

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

The Dell inspron Series laptops have a host of known issues. I'm not saying your laptop is a doorstop, but if you can try a USB Ethernet adapter to see if it works.

With older laptops, bus issues can be a problem.

If my experience with Dell is accurate, you may be on borrowed time with your motherboard. However with that firsthand diagnosis, my assertation is only a possibility.

3. Walt1406

Walt1406 Private E-2

Thanks for your help. Actually , it's a desktop. I have tried a USB ethernet adapter. I didn't have any luck. I have also tried putting another ethernet card in . windows detected the new hardware but did not install it I never got the software to fully install. I tried to reinstall the drivers but nothing happens. They appear to be installing but they never finished

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Okay so you have a DDR2 desktop, With an unknown processor.

Are you running Vista, or a later model operating system?

5. Walt1406

Walt1406 Private E-2

Running windows xp. I'm not sure of the processor. My wmi is missing or corrupted....so I can't view my system information

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds