Dell Inspiron 6000 keeps losing sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by manardshizz, Feb 13, 2009.

1. manardshizz

manardshizz Private E-2

I'm working on an inspiron 6000 and it doesn't have audio. I reinstalled the audio drivers (sigmatel STAC 975X AC97) and it worked fine. Sent the customer home with it fixed. She called an hour later and said there is no sound. I confirmed with her that it wasn't muted or something dumb like that. She brings it back and sure enough there is no audio. The device shows up in device manager like it should, no yellow ? or anything like that. I re-reinstalled the audio driver again and it worked fine......until i did a reboot.

Any Ideas why it seems to fail over and over after reboots???

2. Arvald

Arvald Private E-2

try reseting the primary ide channel by uninstalling it in device manager and restarting the computer

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which Windows version and Service Pack do you have installed?

Dunno off hand why deleting the IDE channel (if you have IDE over SATA) would cause this but PCs are strange, however I would be asking you if their are any other yellow ! marks in device manager and if so what as loosing audio sometimes means that the Chipset Driver is not installed Chipset and Audio you can get from Dell Support here

4. manardshizz

manardshizz Private E-2

That did the trick! Thanks a million.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds