Dell Inspiron 9100 Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prhayman, Mar 17, 2008.

1. prhayman

prhayman Private E-2

I need to replace a hard drive in a Dell Inspiron 9100. Have never done this on a laptop. How hard is it?

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Just did my first one myself. The physical removal of the drive? Easy. Google will show you tutorials, but typically it is about 4 screws to access the drive, 4 screws to unbolt the drive and slide it out, reverse.

That said, call Dell. Some laptops have the operating system or the computers BIOS on the drive, so unless you have the tools to image the drive and copy it to the new drive, you want to ask Dell if you can buy any laptop drive. I bought a hard drive to USB for about 20 bucks, it plugs any hard drive into your computers USB port so you can access it. Of course, I was fixing a friends dead Sony Vaio laptop and the drive was dead and could not copy the data, Sony charges $199.00 for a $80 dollar drive because it comes with XP and recovery. No, I wont buy a Sony laptop again, 200 for a 4 year old laptop drive is unacceptable.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds