Dell Inspiron Laptop - AC Power problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peliken, Jul 18, 2006.

1. peliken

peliken Private E-2

My son's Dell laptop just started having a problem with the AC. I have done some trouble shooting with it and the AC adapter is OK, the plugs and cords are ok. What happens is the battery will not charge when AC is connected. The laptop runs fine from the battery when it is charged but even the battery icon does not show charging.
    It is not the problem that some Dell laptops have where the green light on the adapter fades when plugged in to laptop, it just does not provide AC to the laptop.
    I suspect that it is a mother board problem, although I am hopeing not.
    Any suggerstions would be appreciated.
    thanks
    Ken H., Ballston Lake, NY

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I am not familiar with this particular laptop but i think your worst fear has come true, most likley the connection on the mother board has come loose, some can be resoldered and some type of epoxy to make them a little more durable. Good Luck with yours. ed

3. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

4. jonesja127

jonesja127 Private E-2

I had this same problem on an Inspiron 8500 a little over a year ago. It turned out that it was the result of a bad primary battery. There is some strange link between the battery and AC adapter and if the battery is bad it won't allow the system to boot. I called Dell and after an hour with tech service they replaced the battery for us at no charge. I wold definitely call them. Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds