Dell Laptop-Can't access BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JeffD76, Feb 19, 2012.

1. JeffD76

JeffD76 Private E-2

Searched for this, but never saw a complete answer. Here is the situation:

Have a Dell Laptop, not sure the model but almost positive it's Inspiron. Trying to reload Windows XP but the computer won't let me in the BIOS so that I can get it to boot from the disk. I have tried every single key stroke combo that I can find on the internet as soon as I power up the laptop (F1, F2, Del, FN+F1) and it just goes straight to Windows XP loading.

Is there any other way to access the BIOS settings or get them to appear so that I can see what is going on?

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Dell's are usually F2 to enter BIOS during the Dell screen. They also have F12 for a one time boot menu where you could select CDROM.

If neither works perhaps a USB keyboard might give you another chance if you happen to have one around.

3. JeffD76

JeffD76 Private E-2

No luck with either F12 or a usb keyboard. Any other ideas?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Holding a key down while the computer boots might force the BIOS to appear as it might detect a keyboard problem. If that does not work, try removing the hard drive and then boot.

Your trying to change the boot order, correct?

Edit:You might want to try these combinations I found.

Ctrl+Alt+Enter
    Fn+Esc

If none of these work, then when the computer boots, keep tapping the F2 button continuously.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What is the exact model of the Dell laptop?
    Turn the laptop over. Aside from the serial number from MS for the Windows install, there is another sticker that gives the model, Serial number for the hardware and a specific serial number for your laptop. Usually the model and and sometimes the submodel will be printed above the function keys on the keyboard. I have a sticker too on my Aspire One that gives the exact model of Aspire One and other facts about the hardware inside.

6. JeffD76

JeffD76 Private E-2

So since I couldn't get into the BIOS, I just decided to clean up the hard drive as much as possible. Ran CCleaner and Malwarebytes and lo an behold, the computer actually gave me the option to reboot from the CD on restart. So apparently it had some malware that was disabling the BIOS access keys. Who knew? :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds