Dell laptop "dumping memory"

Discussion in 'Software' started by ivfortune, May 11, 2008.

1. ivfortune

ivfortune Private E-2

My laptop is "dumping memory". I can barely get going when a blue screen pops up and says that it encountered a problem and needs to shut down.

I have countless pictures and all my itunes on the laptop and do not want to lose them. What can i do?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Please post the exact error number (it looks like 0x0000007F) and the exact message and any file names listed.
    Don't worry, your data is safe for the time being. Worst case scenario: we back up your music and pictures to a DVD or external drive, format and reload Windows. Best case scenario: you post the info we need and we find an easy fix :D

3. ivfortune

ivfortune Private E-2

Thanks dlb. Here's the info:

irql_not_less_or_equal

technical information:
    *** Stop: 0x0000000A (0xFF1711F2, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9R68)

Sorry about the delay, the laptop was playing with my emotions and working for ten minutes before it went blue again.
    -Andre'

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Hmmm... seems that quite a few people are having the 0x000000A errors lately. This is commonly caused by a bad device driver, or the device itself has gone bad. Here's some info:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314063/en-us
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929338/en-us
    This error is also commonly related to faulty network adapters, network drivers, or corrupt network system files (in other words, anything to do with your ethernet). So try disabling your on-board ethernet in the BIOS (if possible) or in the device manager and see if the error persists. If you use an add-on wifi card or ethernet card, temporarily remove and see if things stabilize. Try reloading any system drivers and the chipset software. You may also want to run a full in-depth diagnostic on your system RAM. I generally use a bootable program for testing memory like this one: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Microsoft_Windows_Memory_Diagnostic_d3955.html When you run it you have the choice of creating a boot floppy or an .ISO image for burning to CD. Choose the one that's most appropriate for your system. If you choose the ISO option, it will create a file called windiag.iso in My Documents. Then use your favorite burning application to burn it; most have an option that is something similar to "create CD from image file". This is what you'll want to use. If you just burn it as data it will not work, you MUST burn it as an image. Then boot to it and press 'T' for the extended tests.
    Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds