Dell Latitude D600 Password Requirement

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ninefifty, May 15, 2013.

1. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

Hi All,
    I have a Dell Latitude D600 laptop pcwith Windows XP on it. It was given to me by a friend.

Problem I am having with it is that the password I have been given won't work on it.
    I think it is administration password controlled as I can't even access the BIOS section that allows me to choose between hard-drive, CD or other booting technique.

I wouldn't say that there was anything valuable in there so I would happily swipe the laptop clean and start afresh with a new factory reset installation.

I have looked up Dell's website and can't find a recovery program for this make and the laptop never came with any disks.

Can anybody help me with some links or advice for getting this computer swiped?

Cheers.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you can't access the boot options, then there's a BIOS password that's been set. It's completely different/separate from the Windows Administrative password.

I've been searching for methods to reset the BIOS password on your model, and it seems that your model is a "tough dog" and I haven't been able to find anything definitive yet. But, I'll keep looking. :)

3. mdonah

I found this post in Major Geeks Forums from about 4 years ago. Tamba1 seems to have the solution because there were no further replies to the thread.

Hope this helps! :)

4. Ninefifty

Ninefifty Private First Class

Gold Dust.
    Thank you McDonah.

Loads of tips with the links you gave me.
    Will need half a day set aside to try it in case I get nervous. I don't like opening the back of pc's but have nothing to lose here.

5. mdonah

Your welcome. Gold dust? I thought I hit the mother lode. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds