dell latitude d820 nvidia fail, need bios that will flash

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zapp, Sep 23, 2011.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

guys, dell is no help on this. d820 is one of the dell/nvidia blame-game systems that is slowly dying. the latest a10 bios is a windows executable package that looks first for battery & ac power. since the system is too dumb to know that it has a battery, the package halts and won't run.
    can someone tell me a workaround? can the contents be extracted and flashed some other way?

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    It seems that Dell lets you flash the BIOS via DOS and a floppy.

If you do not have a floppy, you will have to create a bootable DOS CD with the file.

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

i think the result will be the same but maybe not.. the bios reports "no battery" even though the battery is installed, and the program bails.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to translate
    program: What program?
    bails: Does it stop, shoot an error message, turn off the computer or reboot the computer?
    You'll get better help if you give details.

5. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

sorry I thought I was brief but clear in the op: "latest a10 bios is a windows executable package that looks first for battery & ac power"
    dell ONLY posts this package.
    the somewhat illiterate person I got on the chat says that's the only bios they have [which is not true] and the only way its packaged [I doubt].
    Upon execution, it does one simple routine, apparently interrogating the bios for both AC and batt. If both do not show positive , it will not proceed.

I guess I could try cracking the package, but the last time I did that, the key files were encrypted in .cab files.

if it were my laptop I'd sell it while its sorta working. the nvidia logic was faulty from the edge.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds