Dell networking SLOW.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by unclematty, Jun 25, 2004.

1. unclematty

unclematty Private First Class

My friend's Dell was infected with ad software/viruses the whole lot and it wouldnt connect to the internet. I cleaned it out with a complete winxp home reinstall, installed the onboard nic drivers(intel 10/100).

But the networking so slow. I moved it from her house to my network to varify that it was not her connection. It is not her connection.

What could it be? Why would the card pull internet but pull it at a crawling speed?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

is this XP? did you check her network activity to make sure the PC isn't spraying?

3. unclematty

I have just done a clean install. There is nothing on the PC except for the drivers. How do I check the network activity and what is spraying?

Thanks. Your help is appreciated?

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I have to apologize for my poor reading skills today ;)

ok.. open up the task manager and look at the network tab. Should show you all network traffic activity.
    Spraying (basically) is when an application (virus/trojan/etc) starts pumping out packets in its' attempt to locate another vicitm. So you'll see solid traffic. That's just a basic overview. That's one of the first things I look for if I think a PC is infected.

Have you looked for updated network drivers?

If it's a clean install, I wouldn't be surprised if you got nailed with MSBLAST before you got SP1 on. Do a virus scan with the McAffee Avert Stinger.

5. unclematty

I went and bought a linksys 10/100 NIC card. Installed it and everything is working fine now. I am currently doing the windows updates so that it is updated when I give it back.

Thanks for the help. I didnt know that MSBLAST could survive a clean install. Interesting. Thanks again Kodo. You're always a big help.

6. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

it won't survive a clean install but it can install itself to an unpatched box ..most often a new install in the process of getting patched..

7. unclematty

So is there something that i should install on this box to prevent MSBLAST?
    (Besides Antivirus, Firewall, adaware)

8. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

yes, install SP1 and then install this patch

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS04-012.mspx

The trick here is to have SP1 already available to install from a CD or more advanced is to slipstream SP1 and burn it to a cd and then install the RPC/DCOM patch above. All this while you're not connected to the net, then install the patch and connect.

OR

Get a hardware firewall and you should be ok.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds