Dell optiplex cd drive wont open

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by playman, Feb 11, 2012.

1. playman

playman Private E-2

hi there, I have few optiplex GX's that were given from a school,
    i'm now currently formatting them and getting them ready for resale.

The first problem I encountered was that I cant open theyr CD drive.
    I've encountered this before with dell.

is there any option on them to disable the cd drive for securety reasons?

I find it strange to find all CD drives in dell that I've gotten from local schools
    are not working, or has the school technitian "broken" them?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Playman,

Do you mean you can't open the drawers to put a disk in or can't read from them? If it's the drawer do they open OK when there is a disk in the drive?

Jim

3. playman

playman Private E-2

hi and thanks for the reply.
    The drive/drawer does not open, I cant put a disk in the drive.
    and yes the molex is plugged to the drive.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Check the jumper on the back of the drive is set to 'M' then disconnect the 'I assume' IDE cable,while the drive has power press eject and it should open,if it does you know its a setting within bios,if it doesn't try a different PSU/computer or check the molex in question is putting out 5V and 12V.

5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Playman,

Use a straightened paper clip through the small hole in the front provided by the manufacturer to open the drawer. While you have it open have a look through that big hole at the works. If you see a rubber belt that's the problem. They stretch and begin to slip. With no disk in the drive the magnetic hubs go fully together and really grab each other. The belt slips and can not pull the hubs apart thus can not even begin the job of unlocking the drawer. One way around it is to always leave a disk in the drive. I have almost brand new drives that have the problem. Most good drives use a gear so don't have the problem.

Maybe?

Good Luck, Jim small

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  6. jaydeee

jaydeee Private E-2

This happens. I have couple of cd/dvd drive that acted this way. I tried so much but I had to replaced it in the end.

7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Playman and Jaydeee,

I used to have "belt dressing" way back in the dark ages when nearly everything used belts. Haven't really tried to find any lately. Might be worth a Google. You can reach the belt through the big hole under where the disk fits in the tray. With power off open it with the paper clip and move the tray in and out. If you had dressing you can reach it easily. I have tried several things but so far they have only been temporary.

Jim

8. playman

playman Private E-2

Thanks for the reply's every one.
    I decided to open some of the drives, and behold
    the belts were torn, likely becouse of the age and usage.

changed the belt and everything worked again.

9. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Playman,

Thanks for the thanks! I never saw a belt torn or broken just slipping. Oh well, as my old buddy used to say "Electronic Gadgets are capable of 1,000,000 mistakes per nanosecond". Glad you got it worked out.

Jim

10. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello playman,
    Can you tell me where you got the belts for your drives?

Edit: found this. I have two drives with this problem. Maybe the hot water idea will work.

11. playman

playman Private E-2

I just took them from some broken drives I had laying around.
    I'm just glad that I dont throw everything away that is broken :cool

12. tgell

I did find a source but not sure what shipping is? I think I might even try a rubber band. :)

http://www.matchaknob.com/belts/

I believe the number after the three letters is inside circumference.

13. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi All,

I thought maybe an ORing might work but couldn't find any the right length that would fit. The best fit was too "Fat" and jammed. I'll try Tgells suggestion about hot water next time I have a chance.

Jim

14. tgell

When doing the microwave routine, be careful not to overheat the water as I have heard of people getting burned by something called flash boil. Water looks fine but as soon as it is disturbed the water boils over.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds