Dell psu still proprietary?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Howmanator, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Howmanator

Howmanator Corporal

Under Best Buys' service plan I replaced a dead 2yr. old Gateway, the problem is they were only going to allow me $400 credit if I didn't take the $579 offer toward a new PC at that very moment.

So I took the better offer, but because of their selection I was limited to a Dell 530 Inspiron if I didn't want to pony up another $200-$300 dollars (which I don't have right now), here are the specs:
    Cpu E7300-2.66Ghz
    Ram 4gigs
    Hd 630gig
    O/S Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Problem is the psu is not good enough for my 8800gt, so I'd like to know if it's absolutely necessary to use a Dell replacement psu? Seems I read where someone installed an Antec Earthwatt in their Dell. I'd like to be sure before I lay out the cash for a new psu that can't fit.

2. Stubby

Stubby R.I.P. (September 3, 1949 - January 26, 2011)

According to this article Dell is the ONLY one that still is!!

(Info from Smart Computing – March, 2003 issue)

Most of today’s computer manufacturers use the standardized ATX format for their computer power supply units. But, not Dell!

Starting in September, 1998, Dell started a program that has created and continues to create problems for users seeking to replace or upgrade their Dell computers.

At first glance, both the power supplies and the motherboards in the Dimension line of desktops look like normal ATX-style equipment. The power connectors are the familiar keyed connectors we’ve grown accustomed to, as are the 12V connectors used for fans and other devices.

But appearances are deceiving. For reasons known only to Dell, the company decided to make alterations to the wiring harness, as well as the motherboards they ship. If you examine closely the wiring that plugs into the connectors, you will find that Dell has reversed several wires.

If you use a Dell brand power supply and motherboard, you will not have any problem, as the Dell motherboards expect this wiring arrangement. However, if you try to replace your Dell power supply with a non-Dell replacement, you may severely damage your motherboard because the replacement power supply would send the wrong currents to your system. Also, if you replace your Dell motherboard with a non-Dell approved motherboard, you will probably end up with a damaged motherboard. In either case, you also risk damaging the power supply, and some users have reported experiencing fires in their computers when using a non-Dell motherboard or power supply.

So, since Dell is using proprietary hardware, if you find a need to replace your power supply or motherboard in your Dell computer, be sure that you use either a Dell brand power or one that is compatible.

Hope this helps!!

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Interesting. That article, at least for me, tells me I don't want to buy a Dell. I do not being forced to buy replacement parts from the manufacturer.

4. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

I made that mistake also.

5. Deckard

Deckard Private E-2

What is the PSU rating - wattage, and amps on the 12v rails? If it is a decent unit with 450W-500W and atleast 18A on the +12v line, it should be okay for the above setup with a 8800GT thrown in.

For reference, I was running a E6550 on a P35 board with 2 GB RAM, one DVD-RW drive, two HDDs, a soundblaster card, 2 case fans and a 512MB 8800GT on a CoolerMaster 450W RealPower unit last year. No problems even while gaming.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds