Dell studio 1536 usb ports not working help please!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bamnanas, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Bamnanas

Bamnanas Private E-2

Hello, I'm new to the site. The issue I'm trying to address is my usb ports on my Dell Studio 1536. I did a dban nuke on my hard drive a while back and I'm a complete noob with that stuff so it deleted all my drivers. Luckily I had a CD with my dell drivers and utilities as well as a install for windows vista. I decided to put each of the drivers one by one to get the ports to work and nothing. None of my ports work which includes 3 usb ports and a SD card port. I recently upgraded to windows 8 and my computer runs much better than it did on vista. But I just really want to have these ports in working order constantly transferring files on disc is very tedious. Any help would be appreciated. THANKS! :confused

SYSTEM INFO:
    Windows 8 release preview
    DELL Studio 1536
    x64
    AMD TURION X2 DUAL CORE RM-74, 2200 MHZ, 2 CORE, 2 LOGICAL PROCESSORS
    BIOS VERSION A06 1/11/2010

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Bamnanas, and welcome to MajorGeeks...

If you would please supply your Dell Service Tag # so we can point you to the correct driver(s).

Where to find your Service Tag

Be advised that there are many OEM drivers that may not be compatible with Windows 8 (or Win7, for that matter).

3. Bamnanas

Bamnanas Private E-2

Ok my service tag number is J264MH1 thanks a lot. I took some drivers from there and still nothing. I also uninstalled the usb root hubs rebooted and installed the chip set nothing. I think it maybe the hard drive I have seen some forums claiming if the disk is faulty the usb ports would not receive the needed power for usb ports to work. So I ran a dell diagnostics program online and found these results. If you could make sense of it that be awesome.

Attached Files:

4. Caliban

Your Service Tag # is showing that your machine has a Western Digital hard drive:

I suggest running the Data Lifeguard program to verify that your drive is indeed going bad.

5. Bamnanas

Bamnanas Private E-2

Western Digital Logo

Test Option: EXTENDED TEST
    Model Number: WDC WD3200BEVT-75ZCT2
    Unit Serial Number: WD-WXEY08RP0710
    Firmware Number: 11.01A11
    Capacity: 320.07 GB
    SMART Status: PASS
    Test Result: FAIL
    Test Error Code: 08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors.
    Test Time: 17:56:32, October 26, 2012

These are the results I got not sure what it means but it said there was bad sectors and it was non-repairable.

6. Caliban

I strongly suggest that you begin steps to transfer any important data that you wish to salvage. Today's hard disks are extremely reliable, so any advanced warning is a good indicator that trouble is brewing.

7. Bamnanas

Bamnanas Private E-2

Would you recommend a HDD or a SSD? These are the two drives I'm considering running windows 8 on it runs very well on my damaged WD HDD other than the USB ports not getting power and working.

CRUCIAL M4 SSD:Crucial 128 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT128M4SSD2
    http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/ref=pd_rhf_sc_p_t_3

or

Western Digital 320GB: Western Digital 320 GB WD Blue SATA II 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037NYQ7K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds