Dell Vista 64-bit trouble with start menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by gal1998, May 26, 2011.

1. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

My daughter has a Dell Studio laptop …….Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2
    The other day she was on the computer and my granddaughter came and pushed a whole bunch of keys. Since then, her start menu is froze. The computer works in safe mode. Unfortunately, she did not have a restore point created and last known good configuration did not help either. I have ran sfc /scannow and Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files that it could not fix. I could not find the log showing what these were. I ran sfc /verifyonly and that found integrity violations.
    I ran Mem diagnostic tools in Safe mode and found no problems. I also tried repair from F8 at start, but that did nothing.

I am assuming things got corrupted when she pushed several keys at once. Is there a way I can figure out what I need and download them? Or am I looking at a factory restore?

2. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I see lots of people looked at this thread, but had no ideas. I did end up restoring it to factory settings, and am currently treating it like a new computer; taking off unwanted programs and installing anti virus, etc.

3. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Well, so much for thinking I was going to have an easy morning. Turned on the laptop and now it won't validate; stating unauthorized change, not validating. Gave me an error code, but I didn't write it down. I am assuming it is because I had it set to automatically update and it downloaded the KB929391 update. (validation update) Needless to say, I am frustrated right now at not researching this more before I did it.
    Any ideas on a workaround for this or what I should do?
    Would another system restore to factory settings work and just not set it to update till after validated?

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  4. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I think you may be facing having to do a second factory restore, very frustrating for you. However there are free backup programs available which enable you to take your computer back to an earlier state, how much earlier depending on how often you create the backup. The backups are stored on an external drive (on DVD also but far less convenient) and are restored using a bootable CD you create with the program. It saves an awful lot of work when things like this happen. Here's one of thre free ones -

Easeus Todo

Worth thinking about.

5. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Thanks Earthling. I will definitely check that out.
    Having trouble getting into the laptop. Clicking F8 brings me to resuming windows, not doing what it is supposed to. Keeps taking me to log in screen. When I type in password, takes me directly to where it tells me it is not validated. I close it out, and goes back to welcome screen.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are you using the laptop's factory restore option?
    That update should not effect a copy of Vista installed by the manufacturer.

7. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Yes, I did use the factory restore option. It was working fine last night as I uninstalled of a few programs she didn't need (Dell ebay and McAfee) and and installed Avast and Ccleaner to her laptop. I did set updates to download automatically. This morning I was going to put her music and pictures back on. Started the laptop up, logged in, then it went to a validation online and I got the errors.

8. sach2

That KB came out right around the time Vista was released. It should only effect non valid copies from that time.

Try right-clicking Computer and selecting Properties. What does it say about Activation? If it isn't activated does it give you an option of inputting your key from the sticker on the computer?

9. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I have no way to right-click on computer. I do not get a desktop screen. It goes straight to resuming windows after I log in.
    I assure you this is a valid install. I bought the computer for my daughter about 2 years ago.

The error I receive is Error 0xC004D401 Security processor reported a system file mismatch error.

10. sach2

I'm not questioning your integrity, I'm just a bit confused because most of the links to that KB are from 2006 and relate to people using a pre-release copy of Vista.

I'd give them a call and see if they can help http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

Otherwise, I would say cut your losses and spend the time to reinstall but you may end up with the same problem. See if they can give you any advice. If they aren't very helpful maybe a post in this forum will get you to someone with more knowledge about the process.

11. Earthling

@sach2 - sounds like it was in hibernation. What do you think about using a bootdisk to delete hiberfil.sys?

12. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I would reinstall if I could get the F8 key to work when I reboot. Unfortunately it doesn't.

Me, doing some research, thought that KB was my problem, but maybe it isn't.
    With starting up the computer this morning, there is 68 updates left to install. I hadn't done them thinking that was what happened. I am running them right now..........Can't hurt right?

13. sach2

Hi Earthling, that is a bit over my head. I have never looked into that as I don't really use hibernation.

I'm still not sure exactly what you are seeing on screen? (I've only had one activation problem and that was due to an incomplete recovery. Re-doing the recovery fixed it). I was stuck on a screen telling me to activate but it wouldn't take me anywhere.

It sounds now that you have a desktop if you can do updates. I thought it just said "resuming windows"?

14. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I just found this http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en/genuinevista/thread/e2f066b3-2517-41bc-8fad-4c036f2f4ac8

Might this be my problem with the validation? I did install Avast. If it is that answers one of my questions, but doesn't help with not being able to get F8 to work to fix this.

15. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

After I login, I have a blue/black screen that scrolls on the bottom "resuming windows", then validation page shows.
    On the bottom right of this, there was options for shut down. I clicked on install updates and shut down.

[QUOTEI'm still not sure exactly what you are seeing on screen? (I've only had one activation problem and that was due to an incomplete recovery. Re-doing the recovery fixed it). I was stuck on a screen telling me to activate but it wouldn't take me anywhere.

It sounds now that you have a desktop if you can do updates. I thought it just said "resuming windows"?[/QUOTE]

16. sach2

It sure sounds like it might be relevant. See what happens after the updates.

17. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

It was the Avast preventing it from activating. After the updates were done, I restarted computer. I did get to the background screen,but still received error. I right-clicked computer > Properties and still said not activated. I could not get Control Panel to open to uninstall Avast. I rebooted into Safe mode, uninstalled Avast through Control Panel, rebooted, ran Ccleaner, and now shows windows is activated. Everything seems to be working now, so I will put on a different anti-virus. I really liked how Avast worked, but will avoid it now. I will also make a physical and mental note to myself about this issue.
    Thanks for the help Earthling and sach2

18. sach2

You did a great job troubleshooting! :)

Sometimes just asking the question gets you thinking in new ways. I learned something new today as well. Thank you.

I believe Avira comes recommended by some members here. You might want to take a look at that antivirus.

19. Earthling

Thanks for the great feedback, but I had to smile. In another thread I've got Satrow telling me how great Avast is and to dump MSE, and at the same time you've been having this situation because of it :-D

20. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

I used to love Avast. Used it on any computer I fixed and recommended it to anyone who asked me. I will avoid it after this.
    Direct Satrow to this thread and the link to the article. Getting rid of Avast and getting updates solved my problems.

21. Earthling

Don't forget to take a look at Easeus! Lifesaver!

22. gal1998

gal1998 solo-cob

Downloading it right now. Thanks!

23. Earthling

If you get on with that but would like a bit more functionality (at a price), you should take a look at Acronis.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds