Dell Vostro 1500 no internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by maryh, May 6, 2009.

1. maryh

maryh Private E-2

I was running my laptop through the Windows XP Cleaning procedures (basically for malware removal) and after I ran ComboFix I was unable to connect to the internet. The tutorial for ComboFix indicates to try the repair functionality, but that did not work either. The message I receive is "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Disabling the wireless network adapter. Make sure your network adapter is properly installed." Before the ComboFix ran when I would boot up the Vostro, Dell Network Assistant would pop up and do it's thing. Now it pops up for a second and disappears without finishing. Do need to reinstall a driver? Please help.

Maryh

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Hi maryh and a question for you.
    Are you going to be submitting the logs for a malware expert to review and make sure your machine is clean?
    If so, make sure you tell them this is happening and what steps you do to with my suggestions for you.

First, take a look at Device Manager under Network Adapters. ( Start > Run > type devmgmt.msc > Enter )
    If you have an x or ! by your wireless adapter, you have a problem which would indicate the adapter may need a driver fix or update.
    If not, your adapter is OK.
    If you have a driver problem, you can go to Dell Support and use the service tag number to get to the drivers for your machine.
    Download to a flash drive or CD and transfer to your machine and update the driver from Device Manager. (You can right click the adapter in Devce Manager and choose Update for a wizard to start and point to the driver that you have downloaded.)

To get around the Dell Network Assistant, you can do either of 2 things -
    Go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the program or
    When you boot up, go into Programs, open the Dell Network Assistant up and look for a Preferences tab or page. There should be a box that is ticked for "Start at Windows start up." and untick the box.
    You can reboot once either option is done and try your repair option again.

If you still have no network connection, then the malware may be causing the problem. You may have to submit the logs from another computer.

Again I'll stress - telling the Malware expert what you have done is very important so they know all the facts when they look at your logs if you submit them.

3. maryh

maryh Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I checked the device manager/network adapter and no x or !. I removed Dell Network Assistant, rebooted, and attempted to repair connection - didn't work. So at this point do I have to post a new thread in the malware removal forum? I will tell them everything you had me do, etc. I guess I will have to download the logs to a flash drive and use another computer to post, yes? Thanks again for your help, it is very much appreciated.
    Maryh

4. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Yes I would post the logs after you complete the whole cleaning procedure as outlined. Tell them your situation and what you did and any other problems/deviations from the ordinary. Some of the malware can screw up the connection so they will know what you should do.
    Good Luck and realize that the Malware crew is very busy so don't bump your thread once you've posted the required logs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds