Dell xps 8300 not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Dec 31, 2014.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

The movers finished and my pc won't start.
    It was bubble wrapped well.
    The power button and monitor power button flash yellow and it says in protective mode when I press the monitor buttons.
    Any ideas and thank you?

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Shot in the dark Peter - remove battery, hold power button down for 30 secs, reinsert battery, boot.

(This dissipates any static that may be present)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'd open up the case, reset the RAM and check the video card is set well. Make sure no cables are loose too.

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Since this is a desktop, the first thing I would try is pulling the CMOS battery for a while while the desktop is unplugged and allow the BIOS to reset.

If that doesn't work, re-seat all the components (while unplugged) and then boot the machine.

Also, depending on the model year this particular model has known motherboard issues. If it qualifies, and you have not gotten the updated warranty board from Dell you should look into it.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Do I just pull the battery up and pop back in?

Also a friend said amber blinking indicates a power supply issue as power is reduced.

We will see - thank you.

6. plodr

What do the 4 lights on the back of the computer show?
    yellow, green or off for each light

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

There was a green lite when power on.
    I am told the power supply is defective if the power button is an amber blinking light.
    Maybe Staples will have a Dell PS box for $50.

Happy NY

8. plodr

What do the four lights on the back of the computer show? Forget the blinking amber power light at the moment. A blinking amber power light is just part of the diagnostic. It might not need a power supply. That's why Dell also shows 4 diagnostic lights on the back of the computer.

If they are showing yellow or green than something else is indicated.
    Why spend money on a new power supply when that might not be the problem?

9. the mekanic

There are various diagnostic tools like PC Doctor which can diagnose your power supply as well as your motherboard.

That yellow light blinking could be absolutely anything. I've seen bad CPU or case fans with shorts in them do the same thing. Do your fans spin, twitch, or not move at all?

This model has known motherboard issues as well. If you do have the recalled Sandy Bridge board, look into the replacement board.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I cannot see or use any dx tools as I cannot boot up. The power button just shows flashing amber and the monitor steady amber.
    There is a green light on top in the back.
    It was Win 7 which I upgraded to Win 8.1. It is about 4.5 years old.

I don't think getting it fixed by a place I no nothing about is worth it so maybe I need a new one. I am in a new area.
    The person who said the power supply does this for a living but did say if it is not the power supply to then look to the mother board -forget that.

Because it never booted up I saw no need to use a rescue disc -do you agree?

11. the mekanic

Actually, I don't agree with the PSU presumption unless it's been tested by a device which draws a load.

A multiple rail PSU will cease output due to any type of short circuit current. Guessing from the age of the PC, you very well may qualify for an updated board from Dell. That's still at the very least a $500 machine in working order.

I would test the PSU first, then if it checks out look for anything which would cause it to trip out on overload.

I have dealt with a machine which has an updated board (2/13), original PSU, and a Radeon HD4850 vid card (6-pin). If you choose to let this machine go, pass it on to someone who can diagnose, repair it, and give it to someone who needs it if you can.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I might do with one until I go to my home where the friend is in the business and can test it out.

I would assume rescue discs cannot help if it will not even boot.

13. the mekanic

The bottom line here is the only real death knell for a board is no power. Unless you have advanced tools to repair the board on a component level.

As far a a rescue disc, if you can't boot from media, you need to isolate why.

14. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

How do you reset the RAM? I will get back to you all when my friend has a chance to look at it but it will be awhile.

15. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Just unclip the ram from its sockets carefully, there will be a plastic clip at both ends so just push down on them and the ram lifts up, take out and then push back into same sockets and start your PC back up.

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>Before I get involved where I am uncertain, what are the odds this will help, in your estimation?
    Also the button clock which was suggested?
    I am not sure what each looks like but I will try if you think it is advisable.
    Check your email.

17. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I started the thread so wanted to finish it.
    I disconnected all harnesses, pins, dimms, that ran to the mobo and drives and reconnected them.
    It booted up like new so thank you for suggesting that.
    Peter

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Great cheers for the update and glad you have the PC working again, yeah think in transport a cable has come loose.

19. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Thank you, David. :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds