Dell XPS Laptop Black Screen on Boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by haymaker33, Jul 12, 2008.

1. haymaker33

haymaker33 Private E-2

Hello, I have a problem with my dell xps laptop.

Yesterday I noticed my screen was pixilated so I tried to reboot it, but the screen just turned black (like it should, to shut down) but it stayed black. The laptop turned on, the lights are on, but the screen stays blank. Now, I am pretty sure the backlight comes on because the screen 'brightens' a bit, but it is just blank. I don't get any words on the screen or a windows logo. I don't even get the bios.

Random things I can do with the laptop
    If I try to hit F8 I get two beeps
    The CD tray can open and close
    The fans under the lap top DO NOT come on
    If I hit the shift key 5 times it makes that noise for the sticky keys
    The red lights in the front of the laptop and the green power lights are on.

I also tried to hook up an external monitor. It didn't help, it stayed blank as well. Perhaps I didn't do it correctly? I simply plugged the cord into the back of my laptop without pressing any keys

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

From your description it sounds as though your video adapter has died.

Do you recall whether they used to come on before the video went blank?
    If they stopped working, it would not have taken long for the MB to overheat (particularly in a laptop) frying your video adapter.

There is one other possibility that I can think of.
    When you close the lid on a laptop it turns off your screen.
    Usually (but not always) there is a button that the lid depresses when it is closed.
    This could be stuck.
    Of course that would not explain the fans not coming on.

You say the sticky key alert sounds when you hit the shift key 5 times; do you hear the windows logon theme when you boot up?
    Also is there any blinking of the lights on the front of the laptop (indicating the HDD is working)?

3. haymaker33

haymaker33 Private E-2

Thanks for your reply Joelsz

"Do you recall whether they used to come on before the video went blank?"
    I am pretty sure they came on. I am not positive.

"do you hear the windows logon theme when you boot up?"
    No I do not hear the windows logon theme

"indicating the HDD is working"
    I don't know a lot about computers and I apologize that I don't know what that term means. The wifi button is green and the power button is green. The finger pad is also glowing red and reveals the 'XPS' logo on it.

So from this it would indicate my motherboard is fried and the video adapter is dead? I have a full warranty and if this is the problem what do you think they would have to replace? What do you think they would do (Could they save the laptop or will they give me a new one) based on your expertise?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Take the main battery right out.
    Count to 50 slowly.
    Put the battery back in and try a reboot.

If it does so, clear the rubbish and run check disk at the earliest opportunity.

5. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

If removing the battery doesn't work, then if it is under warranty, definitely see if they will replace/repair it.

HDD simply means "Hard Disk Drive"
    Usually when the HHD is active one of the lights will blink

6. haymaker33

haymaker33 Private E-2

Yup its under customer care warranty, I'll see if dell can do anything to fix it.

Just a quick question, because of curiosity.

What exactly does removing the battery and waiting a number of seconds and placing it back in, before rebooting, do? A number of people I have talked to, including studiot, asked me to do this. But it didn't work.

I'm ignorant about computers so I would just like to know, for my own knowledge.

Thanks joelsz and studiot!!!

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

A modern PC is never fully off so long as it has a source of power.

Sometimes a pc, particularly a laptop will show a black screen because it is actually in the middle of doing something but never finishing. Removing its source of power halts this activity and performs a sort of reset.

Obviously this is a blunt instrument fix and it will further scramble a pc if applied too many times so a more permanent solution should be sought as soon as possible.

However since the pc is under guarantee send it back, don't fiddle further.

Incidentally to activate the external screen hold down the coloured special function key on the main keyboard and tap the function key with the screen pictogram on it (F5 I think). Rpeated tapping should cycle through laptop only / laptop plus external / external only.

You haven't done this by mistake have you?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  8. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Just a note.
    The function key for switching from external/laptop monitor varies from laptop to laptop manufacturer.
    On the Gateway that I am using now, it is f4+Fn

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds