dell xps m1710 no audio windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by drew.martinez, Jul 30, 2010.

1. drew.martinez

drew.martinez Private E-2

ok this laptop has been my worst nightmare i purchased it for 200 dollars installed windows xp sp 3 on it and i had no audio i tried a bunch of difrent drivers with no luck. i was told windows 7 doesent need audio drivers so i installed that last night still no audio. i cant figer out what the problem is i added an everest report to see if someone here can help im just hoping its not a bad audio card since its on board audio and i have no idea how to fix that

please help me:(

Attached Files:

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try installing the Intel Chipset HERE (its the 945 series that your motherboard has) then reboot, then try Windows Update to see if it finds an Audio driver (sadly whoever told you Windows 7 doesnt need Audio was mistaken, in some cases the Windows CAB database of drivers will have one but not always)

Then try the Audio driver HERE they are the Vista ones for your model laptop but may work.

3. drew.martinez

i tryed that and it didnt work i also went to device maneger ad tried to unistl and reintal drivers with no luck ether

4. DavidGP

Hi

I would be tempted to go back to Windows XP as Dell definatly have all the drivers for that model for XP, they dont for Win7 (only other Windows OS supported is Vista) on their website,

5. drew.martinez

how do i ruel out if my onboard audio is fried ? i can still hear pc beeping sound but no audio so i know the speakers work how can i tell if its the wrong driver or if its a hardware issue?

i tried everything fo xp and nothing i must have found 15 difrent sigmatel 92xx driver even updated my high def audio controler with no luck. im guessing if i cant get it to work with win 7 then im screwed.

i guess i could always install linux huh but naaa im screwed

6. DavidGP

Hi

Thought I posted yesterday a long post, but must not have posted sadly, so this is an abridged version of what I posted.

IMO to rule of audio issues on your PC is to re-install Windows XP as that OS was supported by Dell for your model PC, whereas Windows 7 is not (not to say it may not work) supported with Dell drivers. In many cases the likes of Dell source custom chips and audio is one of the main ones so not "any" old driver will work even if the name is the same.

If you clean install Windows Xp back then only install the Chipset driver and reboot then the Audio driver, but if you have less than XP SP3 then install before the audio driver the UAA HD driver from HERE

XP Drivers from DELL HERE for the XPS M1710 Laptop

and see how you go, if Audio works in XP then try the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor and see if it lists any issues.

the PC beep, may actually br the small basic speaker on the motherboard that beeps due to startup or an error, which generally if the beeps have a patten, then it links to a hardware error, so if you have a pattened beep whats the sequence?

Indeed, try Linux and try a Linux Live CD (these run of the CD opposed to installing and a good way to test a PC, just set the boot sequence to 1st boot CDROM in the BIOS and boot to the Linux live CD)

Ubuntu is good and download HERE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds