Deny Folder listing for Windows Share

Discussion in 'Software' started by bubbles, Jan 29, 2008.

1. bubbles

bubbles Private E-2

Hello.... This one is killing me and I can't figure out how to get around it.

I have a DBase database running our CRM application, Goldmine. In order for this to function properly a client *must* be able to access the database files which are shared out, and then mapped to a drive on the client end. Management is insistant that I lock down the share so that the users cannot browse to it and view files (so they can't copy them), but still be able to run the program without any problems.

I've applied an explicit deny on a user account so that they cannot view the folder...but this of course removes the proper read permission functionality that the program requires to run properly.

If anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. I'm going to try messing about with traverse folder/file permissions, but don't think it will help as I'll likely just deny the ability to execute the database files. Server is win2k3 enterprise.

Please don't respond with "upgrade to a true client/server database application that uses a SQL backend" because that's not the solution here... It's something that I'm working on, but cannot implement it in the next 8 hours. Thanks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds