Deskjet 2510 driver for scanning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldhenry, Aug 4, 2013.

1. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Hello
    Just bought this new and downloaded driver for my Vista SP 1 32 bit HP computer. But the scanning software does not appear to be there, nor is a panel on the desktop for HP printer. I can print from documents and it is set as my default printer. But the HP website just infuriates as it takes you in endless loops without solving my problem:cry
    How do I break this impasee? The CD would not load either so I went to website.
    Thanks

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Can you post the full model number of the printer scanner, the service number 'sn' and a link to the page you've downloaded the driver from, I can double check the driver for you but can't help figuring out the software GUI.

Look for the scan button on the scanner and press it, if it's like many printers the scan will start then you'll get a preview image on your desktop.

3. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I hope you downloaded more than the Basic drivers.
    You need to download and install the other two items: Full feature software and drivers and Print and Scan Doctor.

5. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

I certainly tried to downlaod the full software and I also downloaded the scan doctor. None of these solutions would work and just said 'failed to load ' The HP web help was an endless loop that does not actually get any further. I have tried to update my Vista to SP2 but that also failed to install. My previous printer , a Canon MX850, functioned well and its software was perfect on the same computer. But the print head failed and I thought a new HP to cost less than a new printhead. Little did I realise the aggravation of the software for such a basic printer/scanner.
    Thanks for the reply.

6. plodr

7. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Thank you for the reply.
    I tried to manually use the CD by clicking set up exe . The CD opened and started the installation but then I came upon the same old screen. " The software cannot be installed". Then it tells you to searh the HP site online and submit the details which I have done many times with just going round in circles.
    My computer is Vista and is a HP Pavillion which annoys me being the same make as the printer.
    Thanks anyway.

8. Rikky

I noticed your from the UK but have linked to a driver on the US, so I've gone through the uk site search engine, the driver version is the same, the driver and software package is also compatible with 32-64bit OS's so I'm confident this is the correct and only driver.

It does sound like you have another problem and I agree with plodr, ATM your primary concern should be updating your computer to service pack 2 so I would work through the microsoft installation pages. Basically these pages tell you to check updates for the service pack to see if it's installed, uninstall the service pack and then to manually download a standalone version of the service pack i.e not through windows update.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/...w-to-install-windows-vista-service-pack-2-sp2

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279

The only way we could help you more with this problem would be to see the error code and message that stopped the service pack installing.

The driver your trying to install is dated 22 October 2011, vista service pack 2 was released in April 2009 which would also lead me to believe this could be the problem.

9. Rikky

Could you also list the security software you have installed, firewall, anti virus, malware protection.:)

10. plodr

11. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Thank you all for trying to assist. I am indeed in the UK:-o. But my son and his (US) wife and my grandchildren live in Fremont in the Bay area of SF so I feel a 'little bit ' of the US in the family, and I visit at least once a year.
    He works in IT too, but am loathe to bother him with my problems as he has plenty to do for his company ( US work ethic is incredible).
    I will try and work through those solutions that you have provided and let you all know.
    This must be the most helpful site on the web!

12. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Hello
    Thanks for patience.
    Well I tried HP drivers again. Message was
    'Another installation is in progress complete that installation before proceeding with this install'.

well I am not installing anything, to my knowledge!

After trying Vista SP2 again I got
    FAIL_ (0x80004005)
    which seems to be commom message and MS answer is please bu**er off and buy Windows 8.
    So I am nowhere really.
    Is there any software that can tell me what is trying to install without my knowledge?
    Do I have to resort to Linux and leave MS with the hope everyone does so and they are left in space?
    Cheers

13. Rikky

Run this then try To run the software package, it could be a one time failure but it's just a workaround the pressing problem is the service pack-

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/windows_installer_cleanup_utility.html

Did you try the stand alone service pack? There are more brutal ways if you wish to try them.

If you cannot install the service pack and are using the computer on the internet be sure to uncheck service pack 2 in control panel-windows update and then update all the security packs.

Can you post what security your using Firewall,anti virus,malware protection also.

14. oldhenry

oldhenry Private E-2

Thanks for the reply
    The utilty would not load Permission denied Error 800A0046

It is saying I must finish an instal first. But I do not know what is installing!

I use AVG free edition 2013 for anti virus - nothing else.
    I'll look at the other comments that you made

regards
    Oldhenry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds