Deskstar Hard drive Boot Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jnsangel33, Dec 24, 2009.

1. jnsangel33

jnsangel33 Private E-2

Something happened to my brother's computer tonight and it is asking to "boot from CD." He has a Deskstar Hard Drive HDS721616PLA380. Unfortunately when he got his computer it only came with the op. system disk (Windows Vista) and NO boot disk. What can we do?? Is there anyway to download a boot disk to a CD from my computer to boot his back up?? Any suggestions are helpful at this point.

Thanks

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Make sure there is no disk in the CDROM. Usually, a "boot from CD" message is asking if you want to boot from the CD and if you do nothing it will boot from the HD within 30 seconds or so.

What is the brand and model of computer? (usually found on a white sticker on the back of the case)

3. jnsangel33

jnsangel33 Private E-2

The computer was left alone for a period of time without the disk. We tried it with the op. system disk (not knowing the difference at the time) after we had no luck w/out it. The computer is a Gateway GM5684E. There are other numbers such as S/N and SNID if what what I gave you isn't what you are looking for.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

OK. So you try to start it with no CD in the tray. What exactly do you see on the screen?

5. jnsangel33

jnsangel33 Private E-2

On the top of the screen (boot screen~black screen/white wording) it says something to the effect (i may miss a word, but you should understand):
    S.M.A.R.T. ....... disabled (does this mean something?)
    this is on the top and of course boot from cd at the bottom of the long list of things.....

6. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

S.M.A.R.T. I s feature that some but not all hard drive can use to keep them working good, if you Goggle S.M.A.R.T. there is a lot of info some of which should pertain. If you do find the solution there please by all means post it back here to help others.

Phil

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds