Desktop connects intermittently

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crimsonthread, May 16, 2014.

1. crimsonthread

crimsonthread Private E-2

I'm having issues connecting to the internet on my desktop via a wireless network. I'm able to connect on my phone, laptop, and tablet without any issues. Additionally, my desktop seems to be connected in the network and sharing center, but most of the time, webpages won't load. When I run diagnostics on the wireless network connection,it says that my "broadband modem is experiencing connectivity issues." Power cycling the modem does nothing. In command prompt, entering ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew will sometimes help, but not always.

I'm running Windows 7 on a Gateway PC, and have a Netgear RangeMax wireless-N adapter. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Model is your Gateway PC?
    What Service Pack is your Windows 7 at and are you fully upto date with all security or critical updates?

In Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks and if so what device are they next too?

What security software do you have installed and please name all as thought is a firewall from a security app could be blocking your internet, if not this then a re-install of your wifi drivers may help once we know how to direct you to the drivers for your model Gateway.

3. crimsonthread

Thanks for the reply. Gateway is model DX4870 . I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium service pack 1 (build 7601) and I'm up to date on all important updates. No yellow ! marks in device manager. I use AVG Antivirus Free; I don't think I have any additional firewalls or antivirus that runs constantly (just tools like MalwareBytes and SuperSpyWare). I should also mention that I'm using the Netgear dongle because my wireless card that came with it gave out.

Thanks again for your time!

4. crimsonthread

Ok, I was sure it was a problem with my computer since other devices still work fine, but when I switched internet providers today, the problem was resolved. :D

5. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

old hp workstation upgrade sound card windows 7

Hi all.
    am having intermitant audio play back issues with my bluetooth speaker,after a lot of experimentation,I found with my son's Iphone it works-no problem,so I have pinpointed it down to my old computer.
    I have a HP workstation Xw6000,I upgraded to windows 7,from XP.
    I have no yellow signs on my driver manager and I believe I have all the updates from windows for 7.
    My son says they did not make sound driver for windows 7,only for XP,he has searched and not found any?
    Could it be that I need a better sound card? an upgrade? :confused

6. greybuffalo

greybuffalo Staff Sergeant

Also when I change pages,the sound goes off foe a second?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds