Desktop display problem - white icon border

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kliph, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Kliph

Kliph Private E-2

Hey all, my computer got toasted by malware several months back and I came here for help...I now run all the proper software but today a weird thing happened.

When I booted up I got all these error messages that I haven't seen before. I eventually got to the desktop but my only option was to shut down by pressing the power button. I didn't even have to hold it in, just pressed it.

Anyway, now all the icons on my desktop and quick launch icons now have a white background. My system tray is fine. How can I fix this so they show the desktop image that's behind them?

Thank you!

-Kl!ph

2. Kliph

Kliph Private E-2

Hey all, I still haven't been able to fix this. Can anyone give me some guidance?

All of my desktop icons have a white background and my desktop image isn't showing through. Everything was fine until I booted up one day and then all the icons were like this.

Is there a simple fix to this? I'm afraid it's malware that caused it but I'm not having any other issues.

Thanks!

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would expect that this is an easy fix! It seems your desktop colour has been changed. Here's how to change it back:

1. Right-click anywhere on the desktop
    2. Select 'Properties'
    3. On the 'Display Properties' dialog, select the 'Desktop' tab
    4. In the bottom right, there is a colour selector. Choose the colour you would like to appear behind your icons.
    5. Apply your settings.

This should change the background colour from white to that of your choice. Let us know how it goes!

4. Kliph

Kliph Private E-2

Thanks for the reply Mada! I followed your instructions but nothing changed. When I went to change the background color, it was set to blue so I didn't adjust it.

Let me more clearly state my problem this time, I think I was vague at first.

-I have a desktop image that is a photo, it fills my whole screen.

-The image used to show around the desktop icons and in-between the icon and the text discription that is below the icon.

-Now, there it looks like all the icons are in a solid white box. The desktop image no longer shows directly around the icon or in-between the icon and it's text description.

-I'm looking to make the area directly around the desktop icons transparent again so the desktop image can show through.

I'd post an image of my desktop but I'm currently waiting to get a new internet connection hooked up at home. I'm posting this from work.

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

5. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

You should be able to test this on your work machine, just to see if it looks like the problem.

Open System Properties in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and click Settings in the Performance section. Turn "off" the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop option, and click Ok.

This should give you the same effect as you have on the computer at home (small boxes below the icons). Just make sure the option Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop is ticked on your home computer and the boxes should go away.

Steve

6. Kliph

Kliph Private E-2

Hey guys, I finally just got internet connection at home today so I'm back on this topic. I still can't fix the desktop icon borders. I've attached an image which should help in the diagnosis. As you can see, the icon's are also weird in the quickstart tray.

Thanks for any and all assistance!!

-Kliph

[​IMG]

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

.... everything. Then turn "everything" back on.

Does this work?

9. Kliph

Kliph Private E-2

Hi Theefool, thanks for the tips but they didn't remedy the situation. What's up with my desktop? So weird...

10. abri

abri MajorGeek

oooo, nice, I like that. Have you thought about marketing it for older people who have a hard time picking their icons out of the background?
    abri

11. Kliph

Kliph Private E-2

I don't get it. I'm trying to fix the icon white border problem.

12. abri

abri MajorGeek

LOL! Yeah, well see? A missed opportunity.
    Where would we without Teflon and all the other mistakes that have been developed to great use.
    abri

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds