desktop icon text box colour

Discussion in 'Software' started by ajs, Nov 2, 2008.

1. ajs

ajs Private First Class

just a minor annoyance but can anyone tell me how to make the icon text box background transparent in windows xp? Currently have a jpeg as the desktop and the text boxes below the icons are dark blue with white text in. I know how to change the background colour to white with black text etc but I cant see an option to make it transparent with white text, as I have on my laptop running vista. Any ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try the following to set icons on XPs desktop as transparent

Open Control Panel > System > Click the Advanced tab > Click Settings in the Performance section > Check the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop checkbox > Click OK

Note that if you are using any tweaking applications these may overide the default XP settings so check those applicatins for settings for desktop icons.

3. ajs

ajs Private First Class

Thanks Halo, didn't work out I'm afraid. What do you mean by tweaking applications? I don't think I am using any.

4. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

right click on desktop>click properties>click appearance tab>click effects tab> then click the items in the screen shot i provided

fade effect.JPG

5. ajs

ajs Private First Class

I cant open the screenshot on your message Buggabear. can you tell me which boxes I need to check please. Thanks

6. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If your asking about a tweaking app then very likely you have nto used one, but TweakUI and TweakXP as examples, but dont use them as you can make things worse.

Another thought is that you maybe ussing Active Desktop which is where you add say webpage content as your wallpaper, or may have accidently set it on or malware could have caused this, so try this it turns off active desktop web content, so you will likely loose your wallpaper until you set it again and if you used active desktop then this will go too but is a trade off between transparent icons or not

Right click on the desktop and choose Properties > Desktop Tab > Customize Desktop > Web Tab and then delete all Web pages one by one but leave "My current Home page" but untick it.

Click Properties in same window and untick "Make this page available offline" click OK

Uncheck Lock Desktop Items

OK

This window is the one for all the settings above
    [​IMG]

8. ajs

ajs Private First Class

Thanks Halo, that got it. Now to the bigger fish...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds