Desktop keeps restarting??

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, Sep 3, 2005.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Any body firmiliar with a virus/spyware that would cause the following symptom...

When you run on the computer, it boots up fine until you get to where the desktop is loading, all the shortcuts are there, but while the stuff is loading into the system tray...the desktop restarts the screen goes blue, then all the shortcuts come back again, then once again...here we go again just like a vicious circle!!!!

The virus scanners and all the spyware stuff shows nothing!! I'm very firmiliar with removing spyware and viruses, but I'm getting no leads!! I've gone through all the drivers, etc.!! So that is why I'm posting to see if anyone else has ever experienced this sort of thing?? My searches have proved nothing so far!!

BTW...

System is an old HP Pavillion 6653c w/Win 2000 pro. If you need any more info...let me know...and thanks ahead of time for any possible help!!!!

Roger

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What happens in safe mode?

What happens if you were to boot into safe mode, then run msconfig. Once in MSCONFIG, check the radial button "Selective startup" Uncheck "load startup items". Click ok, then reboot into normal mode.....

3. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Oh yeah...I forgot to tell you...it does the same thing in safe mode too...which led me to believe that it had something to do with the graphics device and/or driver...but reinstalling that didn't make any difference!!

I want to say that I tried the disabling the startup items, but it has been a few days since I played with it and then they just brought it to me, once they figured out that I would be more likely to fix it in the comfort of my own home, instead of running over to their house every evening for an hour or two!!

Anyway...back at the ranch...I will do the startup thing and let you know what comes of it!! If push comes to shove...I can just reformat the drive, but I kinda want to learn the problem/solution just for the sake of enriching ones knowledge...if you know what I mean!!!!

Thanks
    Roger

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Is this xp pro? Or home?

Rather, what OS is this?

If xp home/pro, what happens if you were to log into the administrator account?

Go into safe mode, then use the administrator account instead.....

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

2000 pro

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

Okay, 2k pro. Try the same thing as I suggested above. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds